Bake this dense, decadent chocolate pound cake recipe in a Bundt pan and serve with a big dollop of coffee-flavored whipped cream. The topping won’t keep as well as the cake, so finish up the cream while it’s fresh and take your time to enjoy the cake for the rest of the week.
How To Make Chocolate Pound Cake with Irish Whiskey Cream Sauce
For Chocolate Cake:
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 sticks butter softened
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate or semisweet, grated
Irish Whiskey Cream Sauce:
- 1 cup heavy cream or whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup coffee brewed
- 2 tbsp Irish Whiskey or bourbon
- Confectioners’ sugar for topping
Preparing the chocolate cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy with a mixer at medium speed. Gradually beat in the sugar, scraping the bowl often with a rubber spatula.
- Continue to beat for 3 minutes, occasionally scraping the bowl. Beat in vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With mixer at low speed, alternately add flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix until the batter is well-blended, occasionally scraping the bowl.
- Stir in the grated chocolate and spoon the batter into the Bundt pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake the cake for about 1 hour 15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert the cake onto the wire rack to cool completely.
Preparing the Irish Whiskey Cream Sauce
- In a small bowl, beat cream until frothy with a mixer at low speed.
- Add sugar, increase the speed to medium, and beat until stiff peaks form.
- With a rubber spatula or wire whisk, fold in the coffee and whiskey until well-blended;
- Cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours.
- To serve, sprinkle cake with confectioners’ sugar. Cut into wedges and spoon the cream sauce over each serving.