A very rich chocolate mousse over a rich chocolate cake layer and topped with chocolate ganache sauce and chopped nuts. Great for special occasions. This cake takes a lot of time to make, and a lot of time to set but it’s worth every second of preparation. It’s a hit every time.
How To Make Chocolate Mousse Cake
Layers of chocolate mousse, chocolate ganache, and chopped nuts.
To make the cake:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9-inch spring form pan, or use parchment paper liner.
In a large bowl, mix flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Make a well in the center and add the coffee, oil, 1 tablespoon vanilla and egg.
- Beat until combined, batter will be thin.
- Pour into spring form pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- When cake is completely cool, remove from pan, cut top of cake level with a knife, and place back into spring form pan.
To make the mousse:
Melt 16 ounces chocolate and ½ cup butter over double boiler, stir in ¼ teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons vanilla, and whisk in yolks.
- In a separate bowl, beat whites until foamy, gradually add sugar, and continue beating until stiff.
- Fold into chocolate mixture.
Whip the 1 ½ cups of cream in a separate bowl and fold into chocolate mixture.
Pour over leveled cake in springform pan and set for 1 to 2 days.
To make the Chocolate Ganache:
- Chop the 4 ounces of semisweet chocolate.
In the top of a double boiler, heat chocolate and ¼ cup cream, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth.
- When the cake is completely set, remove from pan and drizzle ganache over the top.
- Using your hand, gently press chopped nuts into the side of the mousse.
- Sugar: 39g
- Calcium: 82mg
- Calories: 747kcal
- Carbohydrates: 62g
- Cholesterol: 215mg
- Fat: 52g
- Fiber: 5g
- Iron: 4mg
- Potassium: 417mg
- Protein: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 30g
- Sodium: 144mg
- Vitamin A: 963IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!