Cooking the sugar until it’s caramelized (“burnt”) gives the cake a rich flavor. For the topping, use the candy bar or several kinds of the candy bars that you love most.
How To Make Burnt Sugar Candy Bar Cake
A simple recipe to add some texture to your delicate layered cake with caramelized sugar candy bars. A balance of moist cake with browned butter frosting topped with burnt sugar candy chunks.
- Grease and lightly flour 3 8 x 1 1/2 inch round baking pans or 2 9x2 inch pans.
- In a large skillet cook the 3/4 cup sugar over medium high heat until the sugar just begins to melt. Do not stir.
- Reduce heat; cook until sugar is golden brown, about 1-3 minutes more, stirring mixture constantly.
- Carefully stir in hot water (syrup will form lumps).
- Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat.
- Continue stirring until mixture is free of lumps.
- Remove from heat.
Pour syrup into a large heat resistant glass measuring cup.
- Add additional water to equal 1 3/4 cup liquid.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Beat together the 1 1/2 cup sugar, the 2/3 cup butter, egg yolks, and the vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minutes or until mixture is smooth.
- Alternately add flour mixture and sugar syrup to egg yolk mixture, berating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
- Clean beaters thoroughly. In a medium mixing bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Fold into batter.
- Divide batter into baking pans; spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans; transfer to wire racks; cool completely.
- Spread 1/2 cup
- Browned Butter Frosting over bottoms of 2 of the cake layers.
- Sprinkle each frosted layer with half of the finely chopped candy.
- Stack these layers on cake plate, frosted sides up.
- Place the third (unfrosted) layer on top, rounded side up.
- Spread remaining frosting on top and sides of cake.
- Garnish with the coarsely chopped candy bar pieces, if desired.
To make frosting:
- In a small saucepan heat and stir butter over low heat until melted.
- Continue heating until butter turns a nut brown color.
- Remove from heat: cool for 5 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl beat together cream cheese with butter until combined.
- Beat in 2 cup powdered sugar.
- Beat in the browned butter and gradually beat in other 4 1/2 sifted powdered sugar and milk until frosting is of spreading consistency.
Note: For frosting, use butter only. Margarine or other spreads will not yield same results and could keep the frosting mixture from setting properly.
- Sugar: 90g
- Calcium: 76mg
- Calories: 672kcal
- Carbohydrates: 111g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Fat: 24g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 83mg
- Protein: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Sodium: 333mg
- Vitamin A: 891IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!