Despite its name, this chocolate glazed American classic is actually a cake. The name stems from the process that cakes and pies were baked in the same pan. Take a bite from our Boston Cream Pie recipe to taste for yourself.
How To Make Boston Cream Pie
A classic yellow cake is filled with a creamy custard filling before topped with a semisweet chocolate glaze.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
To prepare cake:
Grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
- Line with waxed paper.
- Beat together egg yolks and vanilla at medium speed until blended.
- Beat in half of sugar until very thick and pale.
- Using clean, dry beaters, beat together egg whites and salt at medium speed until very soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff, but not dry, peaks form.
- Fold yolk mixture into egg whites.
- Sift flour over mixture; fold in gently.
- Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake cake until top springs back when lightly pressed, 25 minutes.
- Loosen cake by running metal spatula around sides of pan.
- Invert cake onto a wire rack.
- Remove pan, leaving waxed paper on cake.
- Turn cake right side up.
- Cool completely on rack.
To prepare filling:
- In a saucepan, mix together sugar and flour.
- Gradually whisk in milk, then egg yolks, vanilla, and salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl.
- Press plastic wrap on surface.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, cut cake horizontally in half.
- Carefully remove waxed paper.
- Place bottom layer on a serving plate.
- Spread evenly with filling.
- Top with remaining cake layer.
To prepare glaze:
In a saucepan, bring sugar, corn syrup, and water to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate and let stand for 1 minute.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Gradually pour glaze over cake, allowing it to drip down sides.
- Let stand until glaze sets.
- Sugar: 34g
- Calcium: 59mg
- Calories: 272kcal
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Cholesterol: 142mg
- Fat: 8g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 128mg
- Protein: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 40mg
- Vitamin A: 244IU
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!