How To Make Blueberry Lemon Icebox Cake
This tasty icebox cake is layered with deliciously creamy and flavorful blueberry sauce packed with blueberry bits, graham biscuits, and whipped cream!
For Blueberry Sauce:
- 2tspfresh lemon juice
- 1tbspwarm water,(15 ml)
- 2cupsfresh blueberries,or frozen blueberries, plus more to garnish
- 2tbspgranulated sugar,(25 g)
- 1tsplemon zest
- 2cupsheavy cream,or heavy whipping cream
- ¼cupconfectioners’ sugar,(30 g)
- 1tbspfresh lemon juice
- 1tsplemon zest,plus more to garnish
- 8graham crackers,(full sheet – about standard sleeve)
Whisk the cornstarch, lemon juice, and warm water together in a small bowl until the cornstarch has dissolved. Set aside.
Warm the blueberries and sugar together in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir continuously for 3 minutes until the blueberry juices begin to release.
Add the cornstarch mixture and continue to stir for another 2 to 3 minutes, smashing some blueberries as you go. The mixture will start to thicken.
Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon zest. Set aside to cool completely (stick in the fridge to speed it up).
Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap with overhang over the edges to easily lift the cake out. Set aside.
Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the heavy cream, confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest together on medium-high speed for about 3 minutes until soft peaks form.
Spread a couple of tablespoons of whipped cream into a very, very thin layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. This will help the bottom layer of graham crackers stick.
Layer the graham crackers on top. Spread about ¾ cup of whipped cream on top of the graham crackers.
Then layer ½ of the blueberry sauce on top, another ¾ cup whipped cream, another layer of graham crackers, ¾ cup whipped cream, the rest of the blueberry sauce, ¾ cup whipped cream, graham crackers, then the rest of the whipped cream.
If desired, sprinkle with additional blueberries and lemon zest.
Cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place in the freezer for at least 4 hours or overnight.
Allow to soften in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving or at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove the cake from the pan using the overhang on the sides.
Cut into slices and serve cold.
Cover and store the leftovers in the refrigerator or in the freezer. If frozen, allow to soften again before eating.
- There are 3 layers of graham crackers, 5 layers of whipped cream, and 2 layers of blueberry sauce. Each layer of graham crackers is about 2 full graham crackers (break some up to fit). This recipe yields 4 cups of whipped cream and a little under 1 cup per layer (about ¾ cup) will be used to make the layers.
- Make-Ahead Instructions: The blueberry sauce and whipped cream can both be made ahead of time. Cover each tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 to 3 days. The entire cake can be assembled and frozen for 2 to 3 days in advance before softening it in the refrigerator to serve.
- Calories: 253.38kcal
- Fat: 18.90g
- Saturated Fat: 11.16g
- Trans Fat: 0.01g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5.38g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.30g
- Carbohydrates: 20.53g
- Fiber: 1.15g
- Sugar: 12.57g
- Protein: 1.96g
- Cholesterol: 65.21mg
- Sodium: 70.03mg
- Calcium: 42.14mg
- Potassium: 80.92mg
- Iron: 0.53mg
- Vitamin A: 196.54µg
- Vitamin C: 4.66mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!