Every time we make this cake it becomes someone’s favorite. It is so moist and flavorful that you won’t be able to stop yourself. Since this recipe makes two 9×13 cakes, I usually stack them on top of each other for a layered cake effect.
Variation: This makes the best muffins. It makes 20-25 muffins. Cook for 15 min., then check for doneness. Add time in 5 min. increments, if needed.
How To Make Best Ever Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
- 5 eggs room temp
- 3 cup sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, (or 1 C. plain low-fat yogurt)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3 cup flour
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cup carrots shredded
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple drained
- 1 1/2 cup sweetened coconut
- 1 cup nuts optional
For Cream Cheese Icing:
- 8 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts optional
To Make Cake
- Preheat oven to 325º. Mix together eggs, sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla until well mixed. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients into wet mixture, half at a time. Add carrots, pineapple, coconut, and nuts. (I usually omit the nuts, since I don’t care for nuts in things) Mix well.
- Pour 8 cups of mixture into 9x13 pan or 10" round pan. Bake in preheated oven for 55-60 mins, or until done. Cool on wire rack.
To Make Cream Cheese Icing
- Beat cream cheese and butter untill fluffy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth; stir in vanilla.
- Spread over cooled cake; sprinkle with nuts, if desired.
Commonly Asked Questions
What is a good substitute for buttermilk?
When substituting buttermilk, you can either use plain yogurt as suggested of go for Greek yogurt which will give you a creamier, richer texture. Alternatively, you can make your own buttermilk by adding a tablespoon of white vinegar to a cup of full cream milk. Allow the mixture to stand for five minutes before adding it into your recipe.