How To Make Kale and White-Bean Stew
Have a serving of this hearty and savory white-bean soup that combines the flavors of kale with beans, sausages, diced tomatoes, onions, and garlic.
In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over moderate heat.
Add the sausage and cook, breaking the meat up with a fork, for about 2 minutes until it loses its pink color.
Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the pan, and then stir in the onions.
Cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes until the onions start to soften.
Add the garlic and kale to the pan and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes until the kale wilts.
Stir in the tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 15 minutes until the kale is tender.
Stir the beans into the stew and cook for about 5 minutes until warmed through.
- For a thicker sauce, mash some of the beans with a fork to thicken the sauce.
- Shred the kale leaves as fine as possible when making quick soups and stews, so that each bite will include tender greens instead of a chewy mouthful.
- Wine Recommendation: Since this dish has a strong Portuguese influence, pair it with a rustic red from Portugal. Try one of the many delicious examples from the Douro or Ribatejo regions for a tasty combination of food and drink.
- Calories: 929.53kcal
- Fat: 17.33g
- Saturated Fat: 3.31g
- Trans Fat: 0.06g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 7.52g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.57g
- Carbohydrates: 144.99g
- Fiber: 39.41g
- Sugar: 14.35g
- Protein: 58.69g
- Cholesterol: 19.84mg
- Sodium: 1221.87mg
- Calcium: 737.07mg
- Potassium: 4718.76mg
- Iron: 24.28mg
- Vitamin A: 610.74µg
- Vitamin C: 164.08mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!