How To Make Jamaican Oxtail Stew
Let your instant pot do its magic with this Jamaican oxtail recipe. This stew combines beef broth, ketchup, & veggies for a flavorful dish.
- 2½ lbs oxtails
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp all-spice
- 1 tsp browning
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, chopped
- 2 whole carrots, chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet, or habanero pepper, seeds and membrane removed and chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 16 oz butter beans, drained
- Rinse oxtails with water and vinegar and pat dry. Cover oxtails with brown sugar, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, all-spice, and browning and rub into oxtails.
Set Pressure Cooker on High Sauté and once hot, add vegetable oil. Next, add the larger oxtail pieces to the pot, flat side down about ¼-inch apart, and brown on each side.
- Remove oxtail after browning and place in bowl.
Deglaze the pressure cooker by adding about 2 tablespoons of beef broth to the insert. Take a wooden spoon and deglaze the pot by removing the brown bits at the bottom. Then add the yellow onions, green onions, carrots, garlic, and scotch bonnet pepper. Stir and sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onions have softened.
Add dried thyme, oxtails, remaining beef broth, and ketchup to the pressure cooker insert.
Press Cancel on the Instant Pot. Cover and cook on High pressure for 45 minutes. Once timer is done, allow pressure cooker to naturally release.
Once all pressure has been released, open the lid and remove oxtails and vegetables, leaving the liquid behind. Turn Pressure Cooker on Sauté. Once the liquid begins to simmer, create a corn starch slurry by combining corn starch and water into a separate bowl.
Stir into the simmering liquid. Add drained butter beans into the pressure cooker and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes, until liquid is slightly thickened and butterbeans are warmed.
- Add oxtails and vegetables back to the pressure cooker. Serve and enjoy.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!