A bowl of this filling kale and white bean stew is all you need if you need to warm up your stomach. The fibrous and protein-packed white beans and nutritious kale are simmered in chicken broth for a comforting and savory flavor. In addition, chili flakes and chili powder are added into the mix for the right amount of heat.
Spicy White Bean & Kale Stew
This loaded kale and white bean stew is a warm and hearty dish for cold days.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 25 mins
Total: 30 mins
- 3 lb white beans, canned, drained
- 1 lb white beans, drained, mashed
- 15 oz kale, leaves are torn and stem trimmed off
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 5½ oz red onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 6 cups chicken broth
- lemon zest, (from 1 lemon)
- lemon juice, (from 1 lemon)
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp feta cheese, per serving, crumbled
- 1 egg, per serving, boiled, halved
- ¼ tsp parsley, chopped
- Heat up oil in either a deep skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onions. Saute until translucent.
- Add tomato paste, chili flakes, and chili powder. Roast briefly.
- Add all the beans, kale stems, and broth. Simmer for roughly 15 minutes until stew turns thick and slightly reduced.
- Add kale leaves, zests, and lemon juice. Simmer briefly to have the kale wilt slightly, another 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Adjust accordingly.
- Portion accordingly and garnish with parsley. Top your stew with feta cheese and boiled eggs. Serve.
- Sugar: 4g
- Calcium: 510mg
- Calories: 703kcal
- Carbohydrates: 106g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
- Fat: 15g
- Fiber: 24g
- Iron: 16mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 9g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g
- Potassium: 2861mg
- Protein: 43g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 1227mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 8949IU
- Vitamin C: 127mg
Submit Your Own Recipe
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!