This special dish is great year-round, but especially around the Jewish high holidays.
How To Make Pomegranate-Walnut Chicken
A delicious and simple recipe for moist and tender chicken with the complexity of walnuts integrated in the sauce! This flavorfully rich with a bit of sweet and tangy flavor that lends itself well to tender chicken.
- Brown the chicken in the vegetable oil and remove to drain on a paper towel.
- Brown the chopped onion in the same oil.
- In another pan, brown the walnuts, stirring constantly, without using any shortening.
- When brown, add the onion.
- Then slowly add the hot water so that the mixture does not stick.
- It should not be too liquid, more like a paste.
- Then add the lemon juice, pomegranate juice, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and sugar, stirring with a spoon.
- When well mixed, add the chicken.
- Bring the mixture just to the point of boiling (but not a hard boil).
- Decrease to a simmer and let cook, covered, until the chicken is very tender (about 45 minutes).
- If the sauce is not thick enough, remove the chicken and boil the liquid down until the desired thickness is reached, stirring as it cooks.
- When ready to serve, place the chicken on a dish, pour the sauce over, and serve with a chelou or plain rice.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!