How To Make Spiced Apple Muffins
The warm flavors of these apple muffins come from a combination of nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. Crisp and caramelized brown sugar serve as topping.
- ½cupunsalted butter,(8 tbsp), at room temperature
- ½cupgranulated sugar
- ¼cupdark brown sugar,packed
- 1cupplain low fat yogurt,(not Greek-style)
- 1cupwhole wheat flour,spooned into measuring and leveled off with back edge of knife
- 1cupall purpose flour,spooned into measuring and leveled off with back edge of knife
- 1tspbaking powder
- 1tspbaking soda
- 1tbspground cinnamon
- ½tspground nutmeg
- ¼tspground cloves
- 2cupsbaking apples,peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 6tbspdark brown sugar,packed
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup muffin pan with butter or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
Add the egg and mix well, stopping to scrape the bowl if necessary.
Beat in the yogurt. The batter will look grainy.
Add the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Beat on low speed until just combined. The batter will be very thick.
Add the chopped apples and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
Use an ice-cream scooper or large spoon to divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. The cups should be full. Sprinkle the 6 tablespoons of brown sugar evenly over top.
Bake the muffins for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Remove the muffins from the oven, cool them for 5 minutes in the pan, then turn them out onto a rack to finish cooling completely.
- Calories: 231.35kcal
- Fat: 8.81g
- Saturated Fat: 5.28g
- Trans Fat: 0.31g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2.27g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.55g
- Carbohydrates: 35.56g
- Fiber: 2.17g
- Sugar: 19.08g
- Protein: 4.16g
- Cholesterol: 37.06mg
- Sodium: 207.82mg
- Calcium: 89.59mg
- Potassium: 136.49mg
- Iron: 1.12mg
- Vitamin A: 74.87µg
- Vitamin C: 1.03mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!