Don’t waste the seeds after cooking your pie or making jack-o-lanterns. Instead, roast and salt the seeds for a delicious and nutritious snack. Let the children slosh through the fibers in pursuit of the slippery seeds. It is so much fun.
How To Make Roasting Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 qt. water
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or melted, unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Pick through seeds and remove any cut seeds. Remove as much of the stringy fibers as possible.
- Bring the water and salt to a boil. Add the seeds and boil for 10 minutes.
- Drain, spread on kitchen towel or paper towel and pat dry.
- Place the seeds in a bowl and toss with oil or melted butter. Spread evenly on a large cookie sheet or roasting pan.
- Place pan in a preheated oven and roast the seeds for 30 to 40 minutes. Stir about every 10 minutes, until crisp and golden brown.
- Cool the seeds, then shell and eat or pack in air-tight containers or zip closure bags and refrigerate until ready to eat.