This tender piece of meat is seasoned with thyme, savory and rosemary for that intensely herbed flavor. The potatoes and onions make an elegant accompaniment. This recipe is also included in our Easy Romantic Dinner for Two Ideas.
How To Make Roast Leg of Lamb with Potatoes and Onions
This lamb roast is savory and flavorful and definitely filling because of the potato garnish.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a small sharp knife, cut 1-inch-deep, ½-inch-long slits all over the lamb.
- Insert garlic slices into the slits.
- Rub oil all over the lamb. Set aside temporarily.
- Mix thyme, savory, rosemary, salt and pepper in small bowl.
- Rub herb mixture all over lamb. Set aside.
- Generously butter large roasting pan.
- Combine potatoes, onions, and stock in a large pot. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until potatoes are halfway tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer potato mixture to prepared pan; spread evenly in pan.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°. Place lamb in roasting pan atop potato mixture.
- Roast until thermometer inserted into the thickest part of lamb registers 130° for medium-rare, for about 1 hour 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Tent with foil and let stand 15 minutes.
- Thinly slice the lamb and arrange it on a large platter.
- Surround with potato mixture and any juices from pan and serve.
- Sugar: 5g
- Calcium: 82mg
- Calories: 502kcal
- Carbohydrates: 34g
- Cholesterol: 169mg
- Fat: 13g
- Fiber: 4g
- Iron: 7mg
- Potassium: 1539mg
- Protein: 59g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Sodium: 404mg
- Vitamin A: 83IU
- Vitamin C: 16mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!