How To Make Creamy Roasted Brussels Sprout and Quinoa Gratin
Sneak some brussels sprouts to your dinner with this roasted brussels sprout recipe. It’s a gratin filled with caramelized sprouts, quinoa, and cheese.
- 2cupsvegetable broth,or water
- 1cupquinoa,any color, rinsed under running water in a mesh sieve for a minute and drained
- 1lbBrussels sprouts,small sprouts halved and large sprouts quartered
- 2tbspextra-virgin olive oil
- 1tbspdried oregano
- 1½tspdried thyme
- ½tspblack pepper,freshly ground
- red pepper flakes,pinch, optional
- 4ozGruyère cheese,grated
- 2ozFontina cheese,grated
- 1cuplow-fat milk,or unsweetened plain almond milk
- ¼cupParmesan Cheese,grated
- ½tbspbutter,or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1tspgarlic,pressed or minced
- 1slicewhole wheat bread,or gluten-free bread, torn into pieces and processed into crumbs in a food processor or blender
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Bring the vegetable broth or water to boil in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add the quinoa, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 17 to 20 minutes, or until all of the liquid is absorbed. Cover and set aside.
Toss the prepared Brussels sprouts with enough olive oil to lightly coat the sprouts on all sides. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 12 to 18 minutes, until they’re starting to caramelize on the edges.
Reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees F. Stir the dried oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, nutmeg and red pepper flakes into the quinoa. Then stir in the cheese until it’s all melted. Stir in the milk until the cheese and milk are evenly incorporated into the quinoa.
Discard any burnt single Brussels sprout leaves on the pan, then stir the roasted sprouts into the quinoa. Transfer the mixture to an 8×8-inch square baking dish and sprinkle evenly with grated Parmesan.
Melt the butter in a medium-sized pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, stirring often. Add the bread crumbs and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until slightly browned and crisp. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the gratin.
Bake uncovered for 25 minutes, until the top is golden. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 269.21kcal
- Fat: 14.05g
- Saturated Fat: 6.16g
- Trans Fat: 0.03g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5.52g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.65g
- Carbohydrates: 22.96g
- Fiber: 4.20g
- Sugar: 3.26g
- Protein: 14.26g
- Cholesterol: 30.41mg
- Sodium: 466.26mg
- Calcium: 329.28mg
- Potassium: 429.65mg
- Iron: 2.38mg
- Vitamin A: 114.75µg
- Vitamin C: 48.56mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!