This is a great way to substitute ground turkey for ground beef, for those who prefer a lighter, lower-fat meat dish that is easier to digest. The toasted sesame oil and soy or tamari sauce give it the robust flavor of beef and the ground flaxseed adds fiber and Omega-3 without affecting the flavor or texture.
How To Make Savory Turkey Meatloaf
This savory turkey meatloaf recipe is a light and lean dish. Moist ground turkey, mixed with soy sauce, fennel seeds, sage, and paprika for a robust flavor.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add cooking spray to the inside of a large loaf pan or glass baking pan.
- Rehydrate dehydrated onions by placing in a small bowl or ramekin and adding water just to the top of the onions. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, soy sauce, sesame oil, spices, onions, ½ can of tomato sauce, flaxseed, and bread or cracker crumbs to a medium bowl and mix together thoroughly. Reserve the rest of tomato sauce for topping.
- Pre-mixing allows for even distribution throughout the meatloaf. Break up ground turkey in a larger bowl and combine with the other pre-mixed ingredients.
- Work with hands or a large mixing spoon or a spatula until thoroughly blended.
- With the use of hands or a large spatula, transfer the meatloaf mixture into the baking dish or large loaf pan.
- Use a spoon or spatula to shape and/or score the top of the loaf. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Remove meatloaf from the oven after 1 hour and take the foil off.
- Mix ketchup with the remaining tomato sauce and pour over meatloaf. Spread it over the top, covering the meatloaf evenly.
- Place the meatloaf back in the oven and bake uncovered for an additional 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven after baking and let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Serve while warm or keep in the fridge for future use. This will keep for about 1 week refrigerated.
- Sugar: 8g
- Calcium: 105mg
- Calories: 349kcal
- Carbohydrates: 27g
- Cholesterol: 84mg
- Fat: 9g
- Fiber: 5g
- Iron: 4mg
- Potassium: 895mg
- Protein: 42g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 1237mg
- Vitamin A: 870IU
- Vitamin C: 6mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!
Try the best ever meatloaf recipe as your comfort food for tonight. Make this moist and delicious Italian meatloaf using ground beef, Italian sausage, parmesan cheese, Italian bread crumbs, and sauteed vegetables topped with marinara sauce.