How To Make Melomakarona (Greek Christmas Honey Cookies)
The holidays have never been sweeter with this melomakarona (Greek Christmas honey cookies) recipe. Cookies spiked up with nutmeg, vanilla, and cognac then tossed in a sweet syrup for the perfect holiday treat.
To Make The Syrup:
- In a pot, add water, sugar, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, and oranges. Boil for 3 to 4 minutes until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in honey. Set aside to cool.
To Make The Dough:
- Preheat oven to 356 degrees F. Cover 4 baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a bowl add semolina, flour, and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate large bowl, add orange juice, cognac, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, and vanilla. Mix until combined. Add baking soda and whisk immediately for 5 to 10 seconds or until combined. The baking soda should be completely dissolved and foamy.
- Add water, oil, orange zest, and honey into the orange juice mixture. Whisk again to combine.
- Add the flour mixture into the orange juice mixture. Start kneading by hand to make a dough. Knead until ingredients combine and dough is smooth and soft. Do not overwork the dough.
- Pinch a portion of dough about the size of a walnut or about 1 ounce. Using palms shape dough into smooth egg like oblongs. Place on the baking tray. Using a fork, Pierce each dough ball 3 times halfway through.
- Place the baking trays of melomakarona in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly brown and cooked through.
- When the cookies come out dip them in immediately in cold syrup. With a slotted spoon, flip the melomakarona in the syrup for 10 to 20 seconds for an even coating and absorption. Place cookies on a platter and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.
- Serve and enjoy or store the melomakarona at room temperature in an airtight container.
- Sugar: 17g
- Calcium: 182mg
- Calories: 160kcal
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fat: 5g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g
- Potassium: 49mg
- Protein: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 1095mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 12IU
- Vitamin C: 2mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!