How To Make Kourabiedes (Greek Christmas Butter Cookies)
Make this season more festive with this kourabiedes (Greek Christmas butter cookies) recipe. Crispy cookies made with rich butter and nutty almonds to make celebrating the holidays more fun.
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F.
- Roast ¼ cup chopped or slivered almonds on a baking tray and sprinkle some water. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes. Do not burn them. Set aside to cool or chill in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees F. Layer cover 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- In a blender, add ¼ cup raw whole or slivered almonds, or pistachios, and blend until powdered. Set aside.
- In a food processor, add the cold butter and sugar; blend for about 10 seconds or until well combined. Add the powdered almonds, and season with salt.
- Pour rosewater and vanilla extract. Mix for 10 to 20 seconds or until combined. Add baking powder and flour and mix again for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and fold in roasted almonds with the use of hands. For fluffy cookies do not let butter melt. Make sure before adding roasted almonds they have cooled completely.
- To form the kourabiedes, roll 1 tablespoon of dough into a ball and place on the baking tray. Make a dent using a finger in the center of each cookie. Chill in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Place cookies in second and fourth rack of the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until faintly golden and are cooked through. Do not to overbake.
- Take kourabiedes out and set aside on the trays to cool down. Do not lift cookies while warm or they will break.
- Before serving the kourabiedes drizzle with rosewater and top with icing sugar. Serve and enjoy!
- Sugar: 3g
- Calcium: 42mg
- Calories: 111kcal
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Fat: 10g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g
- Potassium: 35mg
- Protein: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Sodium: 149mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 365IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!