This sugar cookies recipe is great for the holidays and you can even get the kids to help make them with you. They can help to shape the cookies and sprinkle the decorator sugar on. The large decorator’s sugar crystals will sparkle in the light, making these cookies too pretty to eat!
How To Make Copycat Blue Ribbon Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Decorator's sugar if desired
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine butter, powdered sugar and regular sugar in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy, scraping the bowl often.
- Add egg and vanilla. Continue beating until well mixed.
- Reduce the speed to low. Add flour, cream of tartar and baking soda. Beat until dough forms a ball.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Flatten to about 1.5 inches with the slightly wet/greased bottom of a glass dipped in sugar (you can use decorator's or regular sugar). This creates a nice decorative imprint on the cookies and the sugar has a nice crackly texture when baked.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Let stand for 1 minute and remove from cookie sheets.
- Frost with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle more decorator sugar on top, if desired. Serve.