These two ingredients go together like peanut butter and jelly. You have that nutty crunch from the almonds while it compliments the sweetness from the cherries. A snack worth baking and munching.
How To Make Cherry Almond Bars
1 hr 5 mins
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat margarine
- 2 tbsp sugar granulated
- 2/3 cup almonds ground
- 1/3 cup candied cherries finely chopped, plus 2 Tbs.
- 1 large egg beaten
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease and line a jelly-roll pan with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. In another large bowl, cream the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the ground almonds and cherries into the cream mixture. Mix the beaten egg with the milk and almond extract, and gradually beat into the creamed margarine and sugar.
- Gradually add in the flour and baking powder mixture.
- Turn into the prepared pan and bake for about 35 mins. You can use a skewer to check if it's well-done.
- Take the bars out the oven. Remove the lining paper and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Cut the bars into square-shaped pieces before serving.
Calories: 52kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 31mg | Potassium: 36mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 18IU | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg