A sweet and sour sauce with raisins tops off these delightful, beef-stuffed cabbage rolls.
How To Make Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 30 mins
- 1 lb Ground beef lean to extra lean
- ¼ cup rice uncooked
- 1 egg
- 1 onion grated
- 1 carrot grated
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup tomato juice
- Golden Raisins optional
- 15 cabbage leaves
- Combine meat, rice and egg. Add onion, carrot and salt and mix well.
- Blanch cabbage leaves by covering with boiling water and letting soak for approximately 10 minutes or until pliable.
- In the meantime, make cabbage sauce and set aside. Drain leaves. Place an elongated ball of meat mixture in center of each leaf and roll, tucking ends securely.
- Place close together in a heavy pot and cover with sauce. Cook for 30 minutes on medium heat. Reduce heat and continue cooking for an additional 20 minutes.
- You may transfer to a roasting pan and brown for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven before serving. Otherwise, serve immediately.
Calories: 332kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 182mg | Potassium: 566mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 2143IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 2mg