Craving the delicious melted mozzarella cheese, crispy dough, and sweet tomato sauce on a classic pizza? Making these pizza popovers is a convenient way to indulge and satisfy your pizza cravings. This is a foolproof easy popover recipe that combines all the best features of a pizza into delicious bites. Dunk them into some dipping sauces like marinara sauce or Papa John’s garlic sauce for a fun new pizza-eating experience.
Tips on Making Popovers
These eggy hollow muffins are just basically flour, eggs, and milk. But with the right technique, you can turn them into a savory pastry that could be the next big thing on your snacking. Stick around and take note of these valuable tips to make the best popover recipe at home.
- Use room temperature flour and eggs, and warm milk (not chilled). This ensures that they will mix very well, either by hand or using a blender or food processor, and they will achieve the maximum puff in the oven.
- Use whole milk. Not only is it rich and flavorful. Its high-fat content also does well in trapping steam that makes the pastry pop, when emulsified with the eggs,
- Allow the batter to rest for at least 10 minutes up to overnight before transferring to the popover pan. This rest time allows the gluten to relax and the starch to expand. As a result, they will rise and hold their shape well.
- Cut up additional ingredients in small pieces so that they are not too heavy to weigh the bread down. This applies to all other filled popover recipes you’ll be making.
- Don’t open the oven door unless they’re done baking. Or else, the oven temperature will drop and this will easily deflate your stuffed popovers.
- Top them with grated parmesan cheese, kosher salt, or chopped fresh basil while they’re hot for added flavor.
How To Make Pizza Popovers
Pizza popovers are simple, delicious, and filled with cheesy goodness! Make them at home for a delicious instant snacking.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Coat a muffin pan with cooking spray. Place it inside the oven.
- In a large bowl, briefly whisk the eggs and milk. Add the pizza sauce, then the flour, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Stir to combine.
- Take out the pans from the oven and quickly put in a teaspoon of butter for each hole. Afterward, pour the batter evenly into the pan.
- Bake the batter in the oven for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees F.
- After 15 minutes, remove the popovers from the oven and quickly stuff mozzarella and pepperoni into each one.
- Once you're done stuffing the popovers, rebake them in the oven for 5 minutes until they become golden brown.
- Take them out of the pan and transfer them to a cooling rack.
- Serve hot and enjoy your freshly baked popovers!
- Sugar: 1g
- Calcium: 59mg
- Calories: 118kcal
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Fat: 7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 72mg
- Protein: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 157mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 211IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Frequently Asked Questions
Are popovers the same as Yorkshire pudding?
They have the same runny batter. The difference is that Yorkshire pudding is usually cooked in beef fat or roast beef trimmings and served with gravy. On the other hand, you can flavor popover recipes to be savory like pizza, cheese, or dill. You can also make them sweet with apple, honey butter, and blueberry.
Why are my popovers flat?
Unregulated baking temperature makes the popovers deflate. Use an oven thermometer or have the oven checked by a professional. Additionally, while muffin pans can replace a popover pan, silicone muffin pans don’t hold up heat energy well. So be sure to use one that’s made of metal. Lastly, don’t use wheat flour because the bran in it breaks the structure of the pastry.
ConclusionPopovers are a fun and filling treat and ours is made even better with pizza flavors. This is the perfect snack recipe to make for lunch, dinner, or picnics. We’re sure that it is going to be a hit to your friends and family!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!