Zucchini and summer squash add color and crunch to this healthy and uncomplicated dish.
How To Make Pasta with Marinara Sauce and Grilled Vegetables
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 10 large fresh tomatoes peeled and diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic minced
- 2 tbsp onion chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1 tsp sugar or sugar substitute
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- black pepper to taste
- 2 red peppers sliced into chunks
- 1 yellow summer squash sliced lengthwise
- 1 zucchini sliced lengthwise
- 1 sweet onion sliced into 1/4-inch wide portions
- 8 oz package of whole wheat spaghetti
- To make the sauce, heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet.
- Add in the tomatoes, salt, garlic, onions, basil, sugar, oregano, and black pepper.
- Slowly cook the ingredients, uncovered, for 30 minutes until the sauce has thickened. In the meantime, brush the red peppers, zucchini, squash, and sweet onion with oil.
- Place the vegetables under a broiler and cook, turning frequently until they become brown and tender. Afterward, spoon them onto a bowl.
- Cook the spaghetti until it becomes firm. Then drain well and portion it onto some plates.
- Cover the spaghetti with equal amounts of sauce. Then top it with equal amounts of vegetables. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Calories: 126kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 596mg | Potassium: 480mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 2059IU | Vitamin C: 97mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg