Moussaka traditionally uses lamb, but this vegetarian version uses the best of fall vegetables! Serve this dish with a side of Greek salad and a nice glass of wine.
How To Make Mediterranean-Style Vegetable Moussaka
5 hrs 10 mins
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and sliced
- 1 large eggplant sliced
- 1 large onion copped
- 1 clove garlic chopped fine
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1 red pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1/2 green pepper deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 14 oz. diced tomatoes
- 5 oz red wine
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley chopped, leaves only
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- nutmeg grated
- Rinse the potato slices and put them in a shallow dish with 2 tbs. water in a single layer.
- Cover and microwave the slices for 5 minutes at high temperature.
- Grease a crockpot and fill it entirely with the cooked potatoes.
- Slice the eggplant into diagonal slices. Brush them with oil and fry them in several batches for a few minutes. Then drain them on paper towels and set them aside.
- In a skillet, heat the oil and add in the onion and garlic. Cook them, stirring constantly for 5 minutes until they soften.
- Increase the heat of the skillet and add in the zucchini and peppers. After a while, throw in the tomato puree and cinnamon.
- After 1 minute, add in the tomatoes, red wine, oregano, and all other spices. Bring the skillet to a boil.
- Reduce the heat of the skillet and let it simmer for 20 minutes until its contents form a thick sauce. Then add in the chopped parsley. Stir and add some salt and pepper for flavor.
- In the crockpot, add a layer of the vegetable mixture followed by a layer of eggplant. Repeat this process until everything is cooked. Afterward, sprinkle all the cheese over the mixture. Alternatively, you can pour in some melted butter.
- Add the flour and stir continuously. Add a little at a time, whisking continuously as you pour it in.
- Remove the crockpot from heat and let it cool for several minutes.
- Gently stir in the egg and reheat the crockpot. Add a pinch of salt and stir in another set of cheese.
- Keep cooking until a smooth sauce forms. Once that's done, remove the crockpot from heat. And then grate some nutmeg to pour into the sauce. Afterward, cook for 5 to 7 hours at low temperature.
- Your Mediterranean-style vegetable moussaka is now ready. Enjoy your meal!
Calories: 434kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 84mg | Sodium: 245mg | Potassium: 1365mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 1817IU | Vitamin C: 95mg | Calcium: 312mg | Iron: 3mg