Whether it’s Thanksgiving or not, the warm and sweet aroma of this sweet potato souffle will surely lighten up everyone’s mood at the dinner table. It has the right amount of sweetness and creaminess, plus a pop of texture from the brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecan crumble topping. It’s best consumed the moment it comes out of the oven to enjoy the melted marshmallows! Whip up a batch of this easy sweet potato souffle with pecans and serve it with this chai tea recipe or almond coffee for an enjoyable fancy dessert.
Tips on Making Sweet Potato Souffle
This dish is also known as Southern sweet potato casserole and baked sweet potato casserole and has a lot of versions. Ours is a straightforward recipe that even beginners can follow. Here are helpful tips for perfecting this easy recipe:
- Pick fresh, ripe sweet potatoes. To check, the skin should be smooth with no discoloration, dent, tender spots, or any sign of mishandling. If there are any sprouts, it means that they’re mature and less sweet.
- You can boil, bake, or microwave sweet potatoes to prepare the mashed sweet potato filling. You can also use canned, the syrup drained, or else it’ll be too sweet.
- Make this sweet potato casserole with no nuts if you prefer.
- Aside from making a big batch, you can also cook the souffles in small ramekins to make personal serving sizes. You can even customize the topping for each one according to what each guest prefers.
- Other delicious toppings include caramel sauce and chocolate sauce. Roasted salted nuts like almonds or pistachios will give extra crunch and interesting flavor contrast to the sweet souffle.
How To Make Sweetest Sweet Potato Souffle
This delightful sweet potato souffle has a creamy smooth mashed sweet potato filling topped with a layer of crunchy pecan crumble topping and finished off with fluffy marshmallows. It’s an easy-to-make dessert that’s fit for any occasion
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix together sweet potatoes, white sugar, eggs, milk, salt, and half of the butter.
- Pour the potato mixture into a baking dish.
- Mix together the vanilla extract, remaining butter, brown sugar, flour, pecans, and cinnamon.
- Evenly sprinkle the crumble mixture over the mashed potatoes.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, uncovered.
- Take the baking dish out of the oven. Quickly top it with the mini marshmallows in one even layer.
- Bake it for another 10 minutes or until the marshmallows are slightly brown.
- Serve garnished with cinnamon and enjoy!
- Sugar: 67g
- Calcium: 80mg
- Calories: 461kcal
- Carbohydrates: 89g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Fat: 11g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 2mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g
- Potassium: 362mg
- Protein: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 229mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 9534IU
- Vitamin C: 2mg
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I prepare sweet potatoes ahead of time?
Yes, you can wash, peel, and cut the sweet potatoes the night before to give you a leg up in preparation. Submerge your sliced sweet potatoes in a bowl filled with acid-infused water (use 3 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar for every 4 cups of water) and refrigerate them to prevent them from browning. You can also assemble the mashed sweet potatoes and topping in a baking dish, cover it with plastic wrap, and chill until ready to bake. It stays in the refrigerator for 3 days.
Is it better to boil or microwave sweet potatoes?
It’s better to microwave sweet potatoes rather than boiling them because it’s faster, healthier, and easier. Firstly, it takes only about 5 to 7 minutes to cook them in the microwave, while boiling takes about 20 minutes. Microwaving also helps keep the nutrients that are usually released into the water when they are boiled. Lastly, it’s easier. We simply place them in a microwave-safe dish, pop them in the microwave, and wait till the timer is over.
ConclusionEveryone will enjoy the creamy taste and crunchy texture of this sweet potato souffle. It’s an easy dessert that anyone can make. Be sure to give it a try for your next lunch or dinner potluck!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!