If you love your Thanksgiving sweet potato pie, here it is in the classier form of cheesecake. This sweet potato cheesecake features the amazingly delicious combination of nutty-tasting sweet potatoes and cream cheese filling. It is piled up on a buttery graham cracker crust and topped with sour cream, salted caramel sauce, and pecans. The result is a heavenly cheesecake that will keep you wanting more! Have a slice for dessert with a cup of caramel coffee or green tea.
Tips on Making Sweet Potato Cheesecake
Sweet potatoes have a unique nutty and earthy sweet flavor that blends well with the creamy cheesecake. This earthy taste is enhanced with cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg spices, which actually make up pumpkin pie spice! Here are must-know tips about making this delicious sweet potato cheesecake recipe:
- Make sure that the cream cheese is at room temperature so that it’s easy to mix and your filling won’t get lumpy. Once you’ve whipped the cream cheese and heavy cream, be careful to only fold the rest of the ingredients. You do not want to deflate all that air.
- Use fresh sweet potatoes that have a smooth skin and firm flesh. Stay away from those that have visible bruises, dark spots, or growths. They’re most likely old and bitter! You can also use leftover baked sweet potato or roasted sweet potatoes provided that they aren’t flavored with heavy spices and herbs. Use a food processor or mash them with a fork to make a sweet potato puree.
- Fancy a gingersnap crust on your cheesecake? Simply switch the graham crackers with gingersnap cookies. Pretty much any crunchy cookie will work like peanut butter cookies, lemon cookies, digestive biscuits, and even oreos; it’s up to your preference.
- Achieve nice clean cuts by dipping the knife in hot water and wiping it in between each time you slice.
- Refrigerate, not freeze! Freezing will cause it to lose its creamy, velvety texture. Also, it’s best to chill it in the fridge overnight to fully set. You’ll appreciate the flavor more.
If you want more no-bake cheesecake recipes to try, check out this equally easy and delectable caramel apple pie cheesecake!
How To Make No-Bake Sweet Potato Cheesecake
Sweet potatoes and creamy cheesecake make a wonderfully delicious fall dessert combination. Topped over a crunchy graham crust and drizzled with salted caramel sauce, this cheesecake promises an explosion of flavors in your mouth!
For Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 cup graham crackers, crushed
- ½ cup butter, salted or unsalted, melted
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
For Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1 pkg unflavored gelatin powder
- ¼ cup water
- 15 oz sweet potatoes, boiled and peeled
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon, or pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp ground ginger, or pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt, or sour cream
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
For Salted Caramel Sauce:
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp kosher salt, or ½ tsp regular iodized salt
- 1 cup sour cream, or whipped cream
- 1 cup roasted pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Graham Cracker Crust:
- Add crushed graham crackers, melted butter, and maple syrup in a bowl and blend.
- Press the crumbs into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
Sweet Potato Cream Cheese Filling:
- Mix together gelatine powder and water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the softened cream cheese for 1 minute to loosen up.
- Add the whipping cream and beat them together until fluffy and stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, condensed milk, yogurt, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Pulse the boiled sweet potato in a large food processor until it becomes a smooth puree. Fold the sweet potato puree into the cream cheese mixture.
- Put the gelatin mixture in the microwave and heat it on High for 10 seconds to liquefy. Repeat if necessary.
- Mix the gelatin mixture into the cheesecake filling.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture into the crust and spread evenly.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, best if overnight.
Salted Caramel Sauce:
- In a pan over medium heat, add the butter, sugar, light corn syrup, and salt. Let the mixture reach a gentle boil.
- Once simmering, add the heavy cream and stir immediately. Let it cook on low for about 3 minutes or more until the mixture thickens.
- Turn off the heat and add vanilla extract.
- Place the sour cream into a piping bag and pipe it on top of the cheesecake. Spoon or drizzle the salted caramel sauce over.
- Garnish the cake with chopped pecans. Serve and enjoy!
- Sugar: 42g
- Calcium: 158mg
- Calories: 784kcal
- Carbohydrates: 61g
- Cholesterol: 123mg
- Fat: 59g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 21g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g
- Potassium: 420mg
- Protein: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 26g
- Sodium: 864mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 9452IU
- Vitamin C: 3mg
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my no bake cheesecake crust crumbly?
No bake cheesecake crusts really have more butter than baked ones. You don’t need to bake it. If you bake the crust, it dries up and becomes crumbly. Another reason is that you have not packed it well enough to hold up nicely.
Why is my no bake sweet potato cheesecake not firm?
You should almost immediately always see the filling thickening up once you add the gelatin mixture. The no bake sweet potato pie cheesecake with gelatin has to chill in the fridge for at least 6 hours and better if overnight in order to firm up. If after this it still doesn’t firm up, then the probable reason is that you used extra moist cream cheese.
ConclusionThe earthy, nutty sweet potatoes add a deep richness to the fluffy cream cheese, making for a heartwarming treat the whole family will surely enjoy. Try this sweet potato cheesecake recipe today, top it with as much salted caramel sauce as you want, and enjoy!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!