Extend your healthy-cooking repertoire by including this easy to make asparagus with sherry and bacon vinaigrette recipe. Whether you are eating light or looking for ways to incorporate more vegetables into your diet, this dish is guaranteed to satisfy your taste buds.
Moreover, add a couple of soft-boiled eggs and our Rosemary Bread and it’s perfect as a brunch dish. This is perfect for a healthy meal for one, and it would be really great if you have it with friends and family. This asparagus with sherry and bacon vinaigrette is so simple to recreate, it would be a crime not to try it out today!
How to Make Asparagus With Sherry and Bacon Vinaigrette
- A skillet
- A mixing bowl
- A peeler
- Paper towel
- 3 Bacon
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- ½ red onion sliced crosswire
- 1 pound asparagus
- Bring out the bacon from your refrigerator and set aside until room temperature.
- In a hot skillet, fry the bacon until crisp and golden brown for 8-10 minutes. (Tip: fry at medium heat)
- Now, remove your crispy bacon strips from the skillet and drain the bacon on paper towels. Reserve the bacon fat in the pan for the next step.
- Add 1 tbsp of minced garlic into the heated skillet (the last thing you want is to bite into burnt garlic).
- Next, add into your skillet 1 tablespoon of sherry vinegar. Most sherry vinegar is made from gourmet wines, and sherry vinegar contains less than 3 percent of alcohol.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper to your minced garlic.
- Next, include ¼ teaspoon of salt to taste.
- Allow mixture to cook for 10 seconds. Remove skillet and pour your mixture into a metal bowl.
- Add the thinly sliced red onion to your mixture and stir until fully coated with vinaigrette.
- Now in the same skillet, add your onion mixture and heat thoroughly for another 10 seconds. Remove from the stove and you can begin prepping your asparagus next.
- Remove and discard the tough bottom parts of the asparagus spear by holding each end and bending it until the tender part of the asparagus snaps. Tip: you can always cut 1 inch off the bottom ends of your asparagus.
- For thicker spears, use a peeler and peel off the outer layer from the bottom half the asparagus.
- You should have 1 pound of snapped and peeled asparagus spears all ready for the skillet.
- Sear asparagus on medium heat or until tender. Arrange on a flat serving dish.
- Top your asparagus spears with your onion vinaigrette. Tip: Make sure vinaigrette is at room temperature.
- Finely chop the drained bacon and sprinkle over your dish.
- There you go! Try this seasonal asparagus dish as a simple salad or side at home today!
Ingredients You Need
Commonly Asked Questions
How can I make this dish kid-friendly?
Substitute sherry vinegar with apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar has a bountiful amount of healing properties and is perfect to add to your healthy lifestyle. Plus, it gives you the same delicious, tangy flavor that you’re looking for.
Can I use other vegetables instead of asparagus?
Of course! Instead of asparagus you could always replace with any other seasonal vegetable that would be perfect for searing. Think broccoli, carrots or even, sugar snap peas. A great way to expose kids to more vegetables!
How can I make this dish vegetarian?
Vegetarians or vegans can always replace the bacon with salted almonds or peanuts. If you have any peanut allergies, you can always switch nuts for any type of legumes.