Who says you can’t eat something healthy and tasty at the same time? Our 5-minute Panera Mediterranean veggie sandwich recipe is incredibly easy to make. You’ll never miss the veggie goodness of this delicious sandwich from the Panera menu again!
There isn’t a particular rule on what you should put in a sandwich. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the flavor combinations and the toppings of your choice. Make yourself a Panera Mediterranean veggie sandwich at home, just the way you want it. For another famous vegetarian dish you can have at home, try making our Burger King veggie burger recipe.
How Our Veggie Sandwich Compares With Panera’s
We’re making this recipe with ingredients that Panera used for their famous sandwich. Their fillings include emerald greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, feta, cilantro jalapeno hummus, and Peppadew peppers. The fillings are then assembled on tasty tomato basil bread. But what sets our veggie sandwich apart from Panera, you might ask?
Unlike Panera, which uses sweeteners and honey, we don’t use any sugar or honey, which makes our sandwich less sweet, but also healthier. Also, you can fully customize your healthy sandwich with our tips below. Read on to discover ingredient alternatives for this recipe and other must-try fillings you can explore with your Mediterranean sandwich.
Tips for Making the Best Veggie Sandwich
Though making a sandwich is essentially a breeze, we still have a couple of tips in making sure you make the best one every time. So whenever you want to get yourself a Panera Mediterranean veggie sandwich, take note of the following:
- Choose high-quality bread. We suggest that you use tomato basil bread just like Panera and slice it thickly before assembling your sandwich. If you can’t find one you can use baguettes, sourdough, focaccia, white whole grain, or classic white miche. You can even make your own soft low-calorie bread with this Italian bread recipe.
- Toast your bread in the toaster or a hot pan before assembling to make every bite extra tasty and crunchy.
- Add in your favorite cheeses. While we used feta cheese in this recipe, you can include others like brie, provolone, and Swiss cheese. You can also use a combination of these cheeses and make it even more appetizing!
- Add fresh veggies into your sandwich filling. Make sure to include fresh crisp vegetables inside your sandwich. We used a couple of usual veggies you most likely have at home, but feel free to add in more favorite Panera toppings like arugula, pickled red onions, and almonds.
Have this breakfast sandwich with this yogurt blueberry smoothie for a healthy boost. Or have a nutritious and hearty lunch meal by serving this veggie sandwich and a bowl of their Panera french onion soup.
How To Make Panera Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich (Copycat)
You no longer have to drive over to Panera to get a taste of the best veggie sandwich. Make this delightfully refreshing veggie sandwich with fillings of hummus, tomato, peppadew peppers, and more on a bed of tomato basil bread.
- Spread the hummus on both slices of the bread.
- Layer the lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta, and bell peppers on one slice of bread.
- Top with the second slice of bread and serve with potato chips.
- Sugar: 7g
- Calcium: 157mg
- Calories: 207kcal
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Fat: 11g
- Fiber: 5g
- Iron: 2mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g
- Potassium: 591mg
- Protein: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 415mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 2526IU
- Vitamin C: 63mg
Commonly Asked Questions
Is this Panera Mediterranean veggie sandwich vegan?
No, it’s not vegan because feta cheese is added. However, vegans can definitely use vegan cheese or a vegan feta cheese option. If you don’t favor feta very much, feel free to substitute it with some vegan ricotta or cream cheese. Any of these cheeses will still yield the same tasteful result.
What can I substitute for the cilantro jalapeno hummus?
Cilantro jalapeno hummus can be found in many grocery stores and supermarkets like Trader Joe’s. But you can also make this easy hummus recipe and add bits of chopped jalapenos and cilantro if you prefer.
Is there another pepper I can use aside from Peppadew peppers?
The Peppadew peppers in this recipe add the perfect balance of sweet and spicy and can be found in most local groceries. But you may also opt for Trader Joe’s jarred hot and sweet cherry peppers. They may not yield the same sweetness you’d get from the Peppadew peppers. However, if you’re still craving that bit of sweet taste to the peppers, you can toss them in some honey for extra flavor.
ConclusionMake the crowd favorite Panera Mediterranean veggie sandwich with the best combination of fresh vegetables, peppers, and spread for a tasteful sandwich. Try serving it with your favorite soup and an ice-cold drink for a fully loaded meal.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!