Level up your daily cup of coffee with this easy Mexican coffee recipe. It combines freshly brewed hot coffee, tequila, Kahlua, and cinnamon. Top it with whipped cream, and you’ll have the perfect boozy coffee! Spiced and creamy, it makes the perfect alternative to your usual coffee drinks. It’s essentially one of those coffee cocktail recipes that you can make at home on a chilly morning!
There are many traditional Mexican drinks that’ll curb your caffeine cravings straight away. Like a glass of sweet cafe de olla and boozy Mexican carajillo. This recipe we’re introducing, however, boasts a boozier version by adding Kahlua and tequila! Read on for the full recipe and a few tips on making this hot coffee cocktail.
What’s in Our Mexican Coffee?
Gone are the days of monotonous coffee brews with a mug of this Mexican coffee drink. For one thing, it’s strong, sweet, and with a bit of spice, completely encapsulating the signature taste of Mexico. Best of all, it only requires a handful of ingredients.
Here’s what you need for this Mexican coffee recipe:
- Kahlua -This coffee liqueur deepens the flavors of the drink. It also gives off a nice and strong aroma.
- Tequila – This distilled spirit adds a fruity, sweet note to this Mexican drink.
- Cinnamon – It adds a spicy taste and a slight citrusy hint to the drink.
- Whipped Cream – A sweet and fluffy topping for your Mexican coffee drink. You can garnish your coffee with this or omit it from the recipe for a more traditional look.
- Freshly Brewed Coffee – We recommend making the freshest coffee possible! Make sure to use the best ground coffee you can find. Although, nothing beats grinding your own coffee at home. So try making your own ground coffee with a good coffee maker with grinder! For an effortless brew every time, make your fresh coffee in a handy coffee percolator.
How To Make Mexican Coffee
It only takes one sip to know why this Mexican coffee cocktail is beloved by many. It’s the perfect breakfast drink and afternoon pick-me-up if you love coffee with alcohol.
Here’s how to make Mexican coffee in three easy steps:
1. Pour Kahlua, tequila, cinnamon, and coffee into the heated mug. Then, stir to mix.
2. After that, pipe some chilled whipped cream on top.
3. Lastly, sprinkle your homemade Mexican coffee with a dash of cinnamon. Serve hot and enjoy!
Tips on Making Mexican Coffee
It’s the tequila and coffee liqueur that give this spiked coffee quite a kick. And as they say, a little booze makes coffee extra special. Here are some tips on how to make this coffee alcohol drink:
- Aside from Kahlua, you can use other liqueurs like Amadeo, Tia Maria, and Frangelico liqueur to infuse your coffee with alcohol. If you fancy a fruity flavor, use triple sec and garnish the coffee with matching orange peel.
- Some of the best beans have nutty and slightly chocolatey flavors. But you can absolutely use any preferred coffee beans. Brew the coffee as strong or as mild as you like.
- Serve Mexican coffee drinks hot, over ice, or blended with ice and ice cream. Or, freeze them into popsicle molds to make spiked coffee pops.
- Sweeten it up with either sugar, honey, or condensed milk.
- Play around with the ingredients! You can add a dash of chili powder for a spicier coffee drink. For a hint of sweetness, incorporate pure vanilla extract. Try omitting the tequila and cinnamon and you’ll end up with an intoxicating Kahlua drink that’s perfect for brunch!
- For other delicious toppings, add a drizzle of chocolate syrup, a sprinkle of cocoa powder or cinnamon sugar, and a maraschino cherry on top of the whipped cream. Use cinnamon sticks as stirrers, too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this Mexican coffee recipe non-alcoholic?
Yes, skip the booze if you want to. Make this Mexican drink with just coffee, whipped cream, and cinnamon. You can also add brown sugar, star anise, and cloves to make this a traditional café de olla. It’ll still be delicious!
Can I use Mexican crema for this coffee recipe?
Yes. Substitute the whipped cream with Crema Mexicana, sour cream, or creme fraiche.
What makes Mexican Coffee different?
The addition of alcohol and spices makes Mexican coffee different. More than that, the sugar and cinnamon are sometimes added during the brewing process. As such, the sweet and spicy flavors are more prominent than when the sugar and cinnamon are added to the coffee after brewing.
How To Make Mexican Coffee
Enjoy a cup of spiked coffee anytime with this Mexican coffee recipe. An aromatic and delicious coffee cocktail mixed with Kahlua, tequila, and cinnamon.
- Pour Kahlua, tequila, cinnamon, and coffee into the heated mug. Stir to mix.
- Spoon or pipe some chilled whipped cream on top.
- Lightly sprinkle with cinnamon if desired. Serve and enjoy!
- Sugar: 95g
- Calcium: 43mg
- Calories: 696kcal
- Carbohydrates: 131g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
- Fat: 7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 93mg
- Protein: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 51mg
- Vitamin A: 206IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
ConclusionStay cozy and warm with a sip of this Mexican coffee on a cold day. Spiked with coffee liqueur and tequila, it’s one of the best coffee cocktails worth trying at home. Top it with whipped cream for a more decadent afternoon drink!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!