A Mexican food feast is not complete without the classic tres leches flan dessert! On a hunt for the best recipe? This rich and creamy Mexican flan just might be your next favorite. Tres leches, which means “three milks” in Spanish, are among the key ingredients in making this Mexican dessert.
Is the tres leches flan different from the Mexican flan? The answer is yes. A Mexican flan recipe only uses two kinds of milk: condensed milk and evaporated milk. However, a tres leches flan adds one more milk to its ingredients which is normally whole milk. But, you can substitute it with coconut milk or add some cream cheese to the mixture for a mildly tangy finish.
These three milks are mixed together with eggs to make an exquisitely luscious and velvety egg custard. Don’t get too overwhelmed with the number of milks, though! The added creaminess of this Mexican custard dessert is well complemented with a layer of caramel sauce on top. Sounds scrumptious, doesn’t it? With just a handful of ingredients, a blender, and an oven, you can create a decadent flan that you’ll be wanting more and more of after each bite. Pair this yummy dessert with some strong Mexican coffee for the best after-dinner meal.
How To Make Mexican Tres Leches Flan
Every slice of this decadent tres leches flan is loaded with a rich custard base. It’s then topped with a bittersweet caramelized syrup to balance out the richness of the sweet treat.
- 1 cup sugar, granulated
- 12 oz evaporated milk, (1 can)
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk, (1 can)
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- water, very hot, for baking
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan set over medium-low heat, gently stir the sugar from time to time until it dissolves into a golden-brown liquid.
- Pour the caramel into a loaf pan, baking casserole, or ramekin of your choice; making sure it completely and evenly coats the bottom and set aside.
- In a food processor or large blender, blend together the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt until smooth.
- Pour into your chosen containers.
- Place this into a large, deep baking dish with hot water.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, or until set around the edges but still loose and jiggly in the center.
- Remove flan cake from the water bath and let it cool for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours, best if overnight.
- Gently run a palette knife around the sides of the pan to separate it from the cake.
- Carefully invert the loaf pan onto a serving dish.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes before completely unmoulding. Serve and garnish with strawberries. Enjoy!
- Sugar: 59g
- Calcium: 346mg
- Calories: 398kcal
- Carbohydrates: 59g
- Cholesterol: 159mg
- Fat: 13g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 451mg
- Protein: 13g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Sodium: 215mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 511IU
- Vitamin C: 2mg
ConclusionUpgrade your classic flan and make it extra rich by trying out this tres leches Mexican flan recipe! Enjoy layers of creamy flan and a bittersweet caramelized sugar syrup in each bite. Don’t forget to garnish with fruits of your choice to add more flavor to your tres leches flan!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!