A successful diet is all about compromise and balance. If you have a sweet tooth, you might find this hard to achieve. Fret not! We’ve got a whole list of healthy options for when it comes to desserts. You don’t have to say goodbye to some of your favorite things just to be healthy. This coffee cake recipe is surely a must-try!
This Low Fat Cinnamon Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe is the perfect example of making your favorite desserts work for you. If this is your first time making coffee cake, don’t worry. We’ll guide you through the process of correctly making your own low-fat cinnamon sour cream coffee cake.
Serve this to your friends and family and we guarantee that it is going to be a hit. The balance between the sourness of the cream and the sweetness of the cinnamon complements the tinge of applesauce. If you want to learn more coffee cake recipes, try making this Easy Cherry Almond Coffee Cake.
How To Make Low Fat Cinnamon Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This is a great dessert to have in your repertoire. It\’s low in fat, takes very little time to make and it always comes out well.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift and combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine the nuts, ½ cup of white sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Grease a round cake tin and set aside.
- Using a bowl with the mixer attachment, cream 2 cups of white sugar and applesauce until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Add the vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating until pale and fully incorporated.
- Gradually add sour cream and continue beating until fully incorporated.
- Once the wet mixture is made, fold it into the flour mixture until a smooth batter is formed.
- Spread ⅓ of the batter around the greased cake tin and sprinkle ⅓ of the sugar mixture. Repeat accordingly until the last amount of the batter has been spread on top.
- Transfer to a preheated oven and bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes. Then, reduce the temperature to 300 degrees F and continue baking for 30 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Allow to completely cool down before slicing and serving. Enjoy!
You can add toppings to your cake to have an added flavor and texture. For instance, adding whipped cream will bring some mild sweetness to your cake. We recommend making your own streusel topping for this sour cream coffee cake. Don't worry, this is going to be easy. Just take 4 tablespoons of butter, melt it, and whisk it together with ⅔ cups of flour and granulated sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Sprinkle it on top of your cake and enjoy!
- Sugar: 34g
- Calcium: 85mg
- Calories: 312kcal
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Fat: 9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Iron: 2mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g
- Potassium: 114mg
- Protein: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 317mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 247IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I use soy milk instead of skim milk?
Yes. As a matter of fact, soy milk is a good source for low-fat proteins and saturated fat. An added advantage to using soy milk is that there is no cholesterol coming from it since it is plant-based.
Can I make this coffee cake ahead?
Yes, but make sure to refrigerate it. Place the coffee cake inside the refrigerator and you can enjoy this dessert for 2 to 5 days. Please ensure that you place the cake inside an airtight container or else the cake can turn soggy.
ConclusionThis cake promises to come out delicious and healthy every time. Follow the ingredients and instructions carefully to ensure you end up with a healthy, low fat, moist cake!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!