This chocolate cream pie recipe is your next go-to dessert recipe for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or casual pie nights at home. It’s our take on Marie Callender’s Chocolate Cream Pie and it’s deliciously tempting. Although we have frozen desserts, they can’t beat easy homemade desserts that satisfy our chocolate pie fix.
This is the perfect treat to bring to a party or relish at home comfortably ! How can you say no to a pie with silky and creamy chocolate filling on a sweet chocolate cookie crumb crust topped with fresh whipped cream? The melted chocolate and mousse combo is a sure crowd pleaser!
If you feel like indulging in other flavors, we have other popular copycat pies and desserts recipes inspired by Marie Callender’s that are definitely worth trying like our Sour Cream and Blueberry Pie Recipe and Lemon Cream Cheese Pie Recipe. Make the easiest chocolate cream pie recipe and make it a dessert staple at home, and in hangouts and parties. No one can say no to this heavenly chocolate cream pie!
How To Make Copycat Marie Callender's Chocolate Cream Pie
- ⅓ cup chocolate wafer crumbs
- 5 tbsp butter melted
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 cups whole milk
- 5 oz bittersweet chocolate melted
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate melted
- 2 tbsp butter softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup heavy cream chilled
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Start making the crust by stirring the crumbs, butter and sugar together.
- On a large pie plate, press the mixture on the bottom and sides and bake for about 10 minutes until crisp.
- Let the crust cool on a rack.
- Start making the filling by whisking together the sugar, cornstarch, salt and egg yolks in a large saucepan, then pour in the milk, whisking as you go.
- Boil the filling over medium heat, whisking all the while, then reduce heat and simmer, and whisk for one more minute.
- Pour and press the filling through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then whisk in the chocolates, butter, and vanilla.
- Cover the filling’s surface with buttered wax paper and cool it in the fridge for around 2 hours.
- Spoon the filling into the crust, loosely cover the pie, and chill it for 6 hours.
- Make the cream topping just before serving by beating cream with sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer until it holds stiff peaks, then spoon over the pie in even layers.
Commonly Asked Questions
Do I need to refrigerate my chocolate cream pie?
Keeping your chocolate cream pie at room temperature for more than 2 hours can make it go bad. To keep your cream pie at its best shape and quality, you can keep it in the fridge for 3 to 4 days while loosely covering it using aluminum foil or plastic wrap, until serving.
How do I thicken my cream filling?
If your cream filling is not thick enough to set you can add in starch thickeners like cornstarch and flour until you get your desired consistency. For our chocolate cream pie, we’re aiming for that rich, silky and creamy chocolate filling that works perfectly with our crust and cream topping.
A slice of this cake is creamy chocolate and mousse heaven, so prep and make it at home and the whole family won’t get enough of it! Serve it with other pies, top with chocolate curls, nuts, or meringue or make it a la mode!
This delicious sweet treat is temptingly good and it’s the perfect classy dessert and comfort food. Spoil your family and friends with the best chocolate cream pie and they’ll never forget it!