If you’re tired of hash brown potatoes, give this unusual recipe a try. Great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
How To Make Zucchini Hash Browns
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 cup red onion chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp basil
- 4 tbsp medium zucchinis grated
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives chopped
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese grated
- 4 eggs separated
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and sauté the garlic and onions until the onions begin to look translucent.
- Add the herbs and cook for another few minutes. Add the zucchini and lower the heat. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove this from the heat, taste, and add salt and pepper as you like.
- When you've gotten the flavor you like, add the parsley and olives. Taste again to see what the parsley and olives have done to your flavoring and adjust if necessary. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour and Parmesan.
- Stir this into the zucchini mixture. Whisk the egg yolks and add them to the mixture. Then, beat the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the mixture.
- Heat a skillet and add some oil for cooking. When the oil begins to sizzle, add the batter to the skillet (a la pancakes).
- From here, you can work the fritters much like pancakes. Carefully flip them over when they begin to brown. Don't allow them to burn.
- Between each fritter set, inspect the pan to make sure there is enough oil so that you do not burn the next set. Serve these with fresh tomatoes or salsa.