Craving IHOP hash browns for breakfast? Now you can make the famous breakfast side dish at home. This copycat recipe only requires five ingredients and is so simple! Give this IHOP hash browns recipe a try! An easy side dish to prepare with ingredients commonly found at home. We bet you can’t resist chowing down a crispy buttery crust with tender potatoes in the center maintaining a soft and moist texture.
As we’ve mentioned so many times before, we love home-cooked versions of fast food. Simply because you can get the same delicious taste without the excess oil and fat that often comes with takeout. Additionally, you can adjust, add, and control the ingredients that go in. Chilli flakes for heat, less salt, less oil – whatever it may be, cooking at home allows customization.
Serve with crispy bacon, cheesy scrambled egg, and a cup of your favorite brew and you’ve got a breakfast fit for a king.
How To Make Copycat IHOP Hash Browns
- 1 russet potato
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Peal the potato and start to shred it.
- Put the shredded potato in a drainer and run cold water on top.
- This is to rinse the excess starch off the potato.
- Do this until water starts to run clear.
- Ring water from potatoes using a cheese cloth or your hands, by squeezing the water out of the potatoes over the sink.
- Place in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a pan on medium and add both butter and oil.
- Add in the shredded potatoes and flatten with a spatula.
- Once the bottom is crispy, divide potatoes into sections and flip over individually.
- Cook until brown.
- Serve as desired.
Ingredients You Need
Commonly Asked Questions
What can I use to substitute butter with?
If you want to keep the calories on the lower end of the scale, skip the butter and cook with just the recommended amount of oil. However, the butter does give you an added creaminess that it typical in hash browns. Alternatively, use half the stated amount of butter for a healthier hash brown without compromising on flavour.
This breakfast staple is a quick and easy dish to prepare. It's the perfect companion to a hearty breakfast. Pair with pancakes and bacon, anyone can bet that that would be enough to get you through the day, or until it's time for lunch, that is.