Instead of going out to dinner to get Chili’s nachos, now you can make a wonderful copycat version at home! It’s got crunchy peppers, juicy spiced chicken, tangy fresh lime juice, and lots of shredded cheese which turns deliciously gooey when melted! Serve it with fresh salsa, sour cream, and guacamole, and you have a delicious finger food appetizer ready in no time.
Tips on Making Chili’s Nachos
One of the crowd favorites among Chili’s appetizers, chicken fajita nachos is a great alternative to the usual chili beef ones. Here are tips on how to make it like it came straight out of the menu.
- Make sure that the toppings are not too watery. Drain off any excess broth from the chicken and peppers, and add just enough lime juice.
- You can use any part of chicken. Boneless breasts are best because they cook fast, but you can use boneless thighs or legs. You can even use leftover fried, poached, or rotisserie chicken!
- Don’t overcook the peppers and onion. A quick saute just to develop some browning is enough even if they don’t turn soft. Remember, they will continue cooking in the oven.
- Grate your own cheese. They melt better than store-bought pre-shredded ones!
- Customize your version of Chili’s nachos. You can add black beans, olives, or jalapenos. You can also drizzle queso dip upon serving.
How To Make Copycat Chili's Chicken Fajita Nachos
Make Chili’s nachos at home with this easy recipe using chicken breast, nacho chips, bell peppers, lime, homemade fajita seasoning mix, and cheese for the tastiest appetizer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, add the chicken breast, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and pepper. Mix to combine and allow to marinate briefly for 15 minutes.
- In a wide skillet, heat half of the oil over medium heat. Saute the chicken in batches until slightly charred and no longer pink. Set aside.
- Using the same skillet, heat the remaining half of the oil over medium heat. Sautee the onions until translucent.
- Add the garlic and bell peppers. Continue sauteing until softened. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sauteed vegetables, chicken, and lime juice. Toss to combine.
- Lay down half the tortilla chips on a cast-iron skillet followed by half the fajita mixture, and top with pepper Jack and cheddar cheese. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. A baking casserole is a good alternative if you do not have a cast-iron skillet.
- Bake until the cheese has melted, about 15 minutes.
- Once baked, garnish with chopped cilantro and serve immediately with your choice of condiments.
- Sugar: 5g
- Calcium: 577mg
- Calories: 955kcal
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Cholesterol: 155mg
- Fat: 62g
- Fiber: 6g
- Iron: 4mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 25g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 12g
- Potassium: 785mg
- Protein: 52g
- Saturated Fat: 20g
- Sodium: 1474mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 2666IU
- Vitamin C: 76mg
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you make nachos not soggy in the oven?
To keep nachos crisp in the oven, first, be sure that the other layers are neither too watery nor too oily. It will also help to make sure that the chips and chicken layers are not too thick. The oven should be preheated to the right baking temperature so that once you put the nachos in, the cheese will melt before the chips absorb the moisture.
Is it better to bake or broil nachos?
Broiling gives it a crunchy top and toasty flavor, and baking does that too. At the same time, baking helps to really blend the flavors better. So, we recommend baking it rather than broiling.
What type of cheese do you use for nachos?
Sharp cheddar is what really gives it the nacho cheese flavor. But since it doesn’t melt well, you need Monterey Jack or American cheese to make up the base. While these three are the most popular ones, they aren’t the only ones that you can use. Check out this nacho cheese dip made with cream cheese with an added kick from hot sauce! On the other hand, this cheese sauce uses only cheddar for the cheese but it also contains milk thickened with butter and flour for the base.
ConclusionIt’s crunchy, spicy, and cheesy, all at once. This Chili’s nachos recipe will surely be one of your favorite chicken appetizers. Be sure to bookmark this because you’ll keep coming back for more!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!