Tonight we really loaded up the grill. Everything was done with lots of hickory smoke. We did a pepper and garlic crusted Tri-Tip roast on the rotisserie. Along with zesty potatoes topped off with Parmesan cheese, grilled tomatoes topped with flaked asiago cheese, smoked garlic finished off with grilled peaches with blue cheese, honey, with course black pepper.
How To Make Hickory Smoked Pepper-Garlic Crusted Tri-Tip Roast
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp fine ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- course ground black pepper
- ground garlic 5 cloves
- olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs Tri-tip roast
- 1/4 lbs Hickory chips
- 6 medium potatoes
- Mix marinade in a bowl: Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke,fine ground white pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, half of the ground garlic.
- Rub the marinade into the roast. As you work your way all around the meat, get as much of the marinade into the meat as possible. You'll see the meat swelling up as the marinade goes in. For the crust, drizzle olive oil liberally over the meat. Make sure to also rub a good coat of oil on it using your hands.
- Shake a HEAVY layer of course ground black pepper followed by some of the garlic onto the meat one side at a time. Try to work the rest of the seasonings into the meat with your hands as best you can (Note: You want to end up with a thick crust that is flavorsome. However, you will lose some of it in the cooking process. As such, you may need to add more seasoning as you go along).
- Place the meat on a clean platter and back into the refrigerator for at least a few hours or overnight. This is to give the flavors enough time to blend.
- Set your grill to medium heat (around 350 degrees Fahrenheit). Turn off one side so as for you to cook with indirect heat.
- Add the wet hickory chips over the hot side of the grill. (Note: you can add your hickory directly to the grill or you can use foil smoke packets. Fold the foil into a packet, poke holes in it with a fork, and you're good to go).
- Put the meat on the rotisserie and set it up on the cool side of the grill. Put the potatoes and the remaining half of garlic on at the same time. The potatoes over direct heat and the garlic on the warming rack away from the direct heat. Keep the temperature around 350 degrees Fahrenheit and add hickory chips as needed.
- Smoke the meat for 1 hour or until it reaches an internal temperature of around 120-140 degrees Fahrenheit. The meat should be rare to medium-rare.
- Once you're done cooking, enjoy your meal!