How To Make Che Ba Mau
This Che Ba Mau or Vietnamese 3-color dessert offers the perfect summer treat! It's made of green agar jelly, red beans, & yellow mung beans.
In a medium saucepan, add the water and sprinkle in the agar agar powder. Whisk together blending the powder and water. Let the mixture rest for 15 minutes.
Heat the mixture over medium heat stirring constantly. As soon as it starts to bubble, add the sugar and turn off the heat. Continue stirring for approximately 2 to 3 minutes until the sugar is dissolved.
- Skim off the foam using a sieve or spoon and discard.
- Add the Pandan paste and combine well.
- Pour the jelly mixture into a medium dish or bowl. Use a spoon to skim off the bubbles from the top of the jelly.
- Allow to cool on the counter for 1 hour.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours until firm.
After the pandan jelly is set, run a knife around the edge. Cut the jelly into thin bars, approximately 1½ to 2-inch thick. Grate the jelly using a mandoline.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Pour the red beans into a colander and rinse several times with cold water, washing away the canning liquid. Drain and place into a medium bowl.
In a small saucepan, heat the water until it boils. Add the sugar and stir for approximately 2 to 3 minutes until dissolved.
- Add the syrup to the red beans and combine together.
- Let the red beans soak in the syrup until the dessert is ready to be served.
- In a small bowl, add the mashed mung bean and sugar. Combine until the the mixture is smooth and creamy. Set aside until ready to serve.
Add ½ cup of crushed ice into a clear glass or dessert dish. Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of red bean, 1 to 2 teaspoons of mashed mung bean, 2 to 3 tablespoons of pandan jelly, and another ½ cup of crushed ice. Top the dessert with a heaping spoon of coconut sauce.
Enjoy right away!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!