Potbelly maybe a restaurant specializing in sandwiches but the experience will not be complete without the Potbelly Sheila’s Dream Bar. Sheila Hastings, the wife of the original owner of the restaurant, was the mastermind behind this exquisite, sweet treat.
These dream bars look easy to make — and it is! If you are in need of a sugar rush, this recipe is a sure hit.
Get your mittens and bowls ready as we make this scrumptious and delectable oatmeal bar. You’ll never have to go out again. Serve this on get-togethers and parties and it will surely be gone before the day ends.
How To Make Copycat Potbelly Sheila's Dream Bars
- 40 caramels unwrapped
- 5 tbsp evaporated milk
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup oatmeal cooked
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¾ cup butter 1½ sticks — softened
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven at 350°F.
- Melt the caramels and evaporated milk in a saucepan, making sure to not let them burn.
- As soon as everything is melted, remove them from the heat and set them aside.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients including the butter in a bowl in order to form a crust mixture.
- Set aside half of the crust mixture for later use and press the other half onto a 9 x 13 baking pan and bake it for 10 minutes.
- Afterward, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Top the crust mixture with the melted caramel mixture and chocolate chips, followed by the oatmeal on top. Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Once you remove it from the oven, lightly sprinkle the crust mixture with sea salt or kosher salt.
- Let the mixture cool before cutting it into small bars and serving. Enjoy!
Ingredients You Need
Commonly Asked Questions
How do I know if my caramel mixture is burning?
When the mixture starts to turn dark with smoke and foaming around the edge, that shows it’s close to burning. Make sure to heat the mixture just long enough so the caramel fully melts.
Can I substitute the caramel mixture with dulce de leche?
Yes, you can. It should give you the same sweet, caramelized taste and will save you some preparation time.
With its combination of crispy and gooey textures, this Dream Bar is perfect for your sweet tooth cravings. Try baking these for your next party and they will be snapped up in no time!