No trip to Chicago would be complete without a trip to Portillo’s. But aside from their Italian beef sandwich, Chicago style hot dogs, salads, and crispy fries, Portillo’s chocolate cake shake is one of their must-try hidden gems. Imagine having an entire slice of chocolate cake blended up with vanilla ice cream to make a super thick shake! Portillo’s cake shake is definitely every chocolate lover’s dream.
Tips on Making Portillo’s Chocolate Cake Shake
The famous cake shake at Portillo’s is definitely the ultimate chocolate shake to have when you are having sweet cravings. Cake and shake put together is just a perfect match! But, as easy as it sounds, there are important tips and tricks on how to make a shake like Portillo’s that you should know in order to achieve a perfect one. Here they are:
- First, use the best quality vanilla bean ice cream that you can find. The thicker it is, the better the consistency your cake shake will have. Can you use chocolate ice cream? Although Portillo’s shakes use vanilla ice cream, you can opt for chocolate, especially if you want a strong chocolate flavor.
- Thaw the ice cream for at least 10 minutes at room temperature before blending. The ice cream should be softened a little so that it’s easier to blend. Rock hard ice cream will make it difficult for the blender to break down, and might cause you to add more liquid to help it, which will thin out your shake.
- Use Portillo’s chocolate cake if you can get it! Portillo’s cakes have a signature fluffy texture and a not too sweet chocolatey flavor. It’s the not-so-secret star ingredient here. If not, then get a good moist double chocolate layer cake with chocolate fudge frosting. Freshly baked is best, but a few days old is still good to use as drying out isn’t an issue.
- Don’t blend the shake too thin. You want to have some chunks that you can sip and chew, just like Portillo’s.
- Add other delicious ingredients to your cake shake. For instance, you can add nuts and marshmallows for a rocky road flavored shake. Caramel sauce, chocolate chips, and graham crackers will taste great, too. How about some booze? Also, add a splash of kahlua for a drink that adults will enjoy!
How To Make Copycat Portillo’s Chocolate Cake Shake
Make your calories count with this sinful Portillo’s chocolate cake shake recipe. All you need are just vanilla ice cream, heavy whipping cream, and chocolate cake.
Add all of the ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth.
You may want to add more vanilla ice cream or milk depending on how thick you want the cake shake to be.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Sugar: 14g
- Calcium: 91mg
- Calories: 290kcal
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- Fat: 17g
- Fiber: 1g
- Iron: 1mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 139mg
- Protein: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Sodium: 57mg
- Vitamin A: 425IU
- Vitamin C: 1mg
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s in a Portillo’s chocolate cake shake?
Portillo’s chocolate cake is just a combination of vanilla ice cream and their famous cake. It’s their cake that brings the signature chocolatey flavor though. Rumor has it that Portillo’s chocolate cake contains mayonnaise as the secret ingredient that makes it creamy and fluffy.
What can I use instead of ice cream in a milkshake?
If you’re on a diet, you can use vanilla Greek yogurt instead. Also, add a splash of vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste to improve the flavor. Alternatively, you can also use a banana or avocado mixed with milk to still achieve a thick and creamy shake.
ConclusionTry making it at home today for the ultimate chocolate lover’s treat. The best part about making your Portillo’s chocolate cake shake at home is that you can add as much chocolate cake as you like!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!