The name of this heavenly frosting refers to the length of time that the ingredients must be beaten continuously over simmering water. This results in a thick, fluffy consistency. It’s also fat-free!
How To Make Penuche Frosting
A delightful frosting with Italian roots! A delectable blend of sugar, butter, and vanilla extract which results in a heavenly fudge-like consistency with a slightly nutty and sweet flavor profile. Best to top off those bare cupcakes to spruce up your next bake.
- Fill the bottom of a double boiler with 1-inch of water. Bring rapidly to a boil, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer.
- Place egg whites, sugar, cream of tarter and water in the top of the double boiler, stirring to blend the ingredients.
- Set over the bottom of a double boiler, cover and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove the lid and stir again briefly.
- Using a pastry brush, brush sides of saucepan with water to prevent crystals from forming, cover and heat 30 seconds longer.
- Using a hand-held electric mixer, beat over simmering water for a minimum of 7 minutes, or until thick and fluffy.
- Add the corn syrup and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat.
- Empty into a stand mixer and beat on medium speed until the frosting cools and is very thick.
- If frosting is too soft, refrigerate for 30 minutes, then beat again.
- Note: If the weather is very humid, additional beating time may be required.
- This frosting is best used the day it is made.
- Yield: about 4 cups, enough to fill and frost two 9-inch layers; three 8-inch layers; the tops and sides of a 9x13x2-inch oblong cake; or a 10-inch tube cake
- Sugar: 78g
- Calories: 320kcal
- Carbohydrates: 79g
- Fat: 1g
- Potassium: 142mg
- Protein: 3g
- Sodium: 46mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!