The first few bites of our favorite breakfast burritos are the best until their fillings are all over the place. Imagine all that delicious filling that should have been in your mouth instead of the floor! Well, we all know the most important thing when it comes to burritos is to keep them intact, but it isn’t as easy as it looks. Luckily, we have plenty of tortilla wrap hacks up our sleeves to help you roll like a pro. In this article, our step-by-step guide on how to fold a burrito guarantees a perfectly-wrapped meal every time.
What Is a Burrito?
Burritos are amazingly delicious rolled tortilla wraps that seal and hold together various fillings inside. A typical Mexican burrito will always consist of tasty rice, meat, vegetables, and black beans. Usually served with a side of homemade guacamole and salsa sauce to complete the delectable Mexican dish.
The reason burritos are such a popular dish is because of how highly customizable they are. You can stuff it with any type of meat like chicken, beef, or carnitas. Along with vegetables like cabbage, corn, and even onions, to give texture and crunch. You can also add cheese and refried beans.
It certainly is the perfect food if you’re on the lookout for something on-the-go. It’s rightfully considered a favorite quick meal as it is handy and convenient. The amazing portability of this food greatly depends on how neatly you fold it, though. So, learning how to fold a burrito properly will certainly make it better for when you make it at home!
How To Fold A Tortilla
Ever tried eating a delicious Chipotle-inspired burrito but its contents just keep falling out? Get the best out of every bite with these tips and tricks on how to fold a burrito like a pro!
Step 1: Warm the tortilla
Before making a burrito, always heat up your flour tortilla first. This helps soften the tortilla and make it pliable and easier to assemble your fillings. Heating up your tortillas also ensure that your wrap does not crack during folding.
You can do this in a hot pan for around 30 seconds on each side. If not, you can also use a microwave. Place three to four tortilla wraps on your microwave plate and cover them with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 20 to 30 seconds and set aside until ready to assemble.
Step 2: Arrange the fillings on the bottom half of the tortilla
Take a portion of your filling and place them on the flour tortilla. Make sure to center the filling on the lower part of the wrap. Start with your cheese and follow with beans, rice, and meat or veggies. Add your sauce and crema for last. Don’t overdo the sauces to avoid soggy burritos.
- Keeping your ingredients at the right temperature is key to a successful burrito wrapping. Piling them in the correct order matters! Specifically, it’s recommended to pile warm fillings on top of the cheese to keep it melted first, then followed by the cooler ingredients.
Remember to leave at least 1 ½ inch space allowance at the bottom to create the fold. This lower-center positioning is the best way to ensure that your fillings don’t spill out when you roll the tortilla wrap. It gives it enough space to seal and secure the fillings.
Step 3: Roll the wrap over the filling
Take the bottom part of the wrap and fold it over the filling. Ensure that the fold covers the filling entirely. With a firm grip, gently give it a squeeze to keep the fillings compact as you start to roll the burrito.
Step 4: Fold one side of the wrap and push the filling inwards
Hold the tortilla wrap securely by placing one hand on top of the burrito to keep it in place. Using your other hand, gently take the short side end and fold it towards the middle. This helps push your filling to the center.
Step 5: Fold the other side
Secure the fold on the short side with one hand and with just enough pressure to tuck the filling inside. Take the other end with your free hand and fold it towards the middle.
Step 6: Continue rolling
Once both sides are tucked, gently roll the burrito wrap until you reach the other end of the tortilla. Now you have a neatly folded burrito you can enjoy! Serve with salsa and take a bite!
- For presentation purposes, you can also cut the burrito in half to show the cut section of the ingredients.
Best Tips On Folding Burritos
Now that you know how to fold a burrito like Chipotle’s expert crew, here are some extra tips and techniques you can use to roll a burrito:
- The secret to a perfect burrito is to use just the right amount of filling. Not too thick, nor too thin. Overstuffing causes your fillings to fall out from the tears and holes on your wrap. Under stuffing, on the other hand, makes your burritos loose and flimsy. It’s a simple rule for folding burritos but one that makes or breaks your meal.
- Firmly grip the burritos while folding them for a tighter tuck. As much as possible, you want the ingredients securely packed so they don’t fall apart and make a mess as soon as you take a bite.
- Seal the seams by grilling or heating. Once you have assembled your burrito, we recommend giving it a quick grill right after. Place the folded burrito seam-side down on a grill or hot pan. This helps seal the burrito in place and also melt cheese if you put some inside. Sealing your burrito locks the sides of your wrap, which prevents spillage and unfurling.
- Use large flour tortillas for easier folding. Large tortillas are the best bet for a well-tucked burrito. It is wide enough to secure loads of filling compared to a small wrap. Additionally, it has enough surface area to fold up properly and cover all sides.
Delicious Burrito Recipes to Try
Learning how to fold a burrito with finesse certainly makes things easier. But you know what else will make your meal better? Trying out these yummy burritos and filling recipes!
- McDonald’s Breakfast Burrito – Start your day with this iconic breakfast dish packed with savory pork sausage, eggs, and American cheese. It’s the perfect meal for those on the move. Serve with zesty salsa and sour cream and you’re on a roll.
- Vegan Burrito – Filled with a mixture of hearty brown rice with tomatoes, chiles, and spices, this deliciously healthy dish is quick and easy to make. Layer it with roasted potatoes, peppers, and onions. Finally, serve with fresh salsa and guacamole for that extra flavor.
- Taco Bell 5-Layer Burrito – Make this cheesy delight all in just 10 minutes! Enjoy the layers of nacho cheese, refried beans, ground beef, and sauces in this homemade burrito with a side of spicy salsa.