Warm your soul with a big bowl of sweet potato soup recipe this winter. Moreover, this dish is so easy to create, it’s perfect as a healthy dinner meal or partnered alongside your Thanksgiving main entree. In fact, the sweet flavor of this versatile dish is sure to win the hearts of little ones as well.
Also, this one-pot sweet potato soup is perfect to cook ahead and store in mason jars. For instance, keep them in the freezer for those nights you can’t seem to get anything done. Meanwhile, this hearty soup can be portioned out for lunch during work days as well. So, why not cozy up with a good book and a bowl of this silky-smooth sweet potato soup tonight? Try out this super easy recipe. For more simple soup recipes, try out our Spicy Pumpkin Appetizer Soup.
In addition, pair this wholesome soup with some homemade garlic bread. Indeed, it’s so easy to make. Firstly, all you need to do is lightly char slices of bread on a grill (try using sourdough bread or a french loaf). Next, once warm and toasty, rub on a slice of garlic to the charred parts of your bread and drizzle with olive oil. Freshly-made garlic bread is excellent to mop-up all those delicious creamy flavors.
How to Make Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
With hints of ginger and cinnamon, this warm sweet potato soup is the perfect quick and light meal.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium high heat, then add onion and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes till translucent.
- Next, add sweet potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for another 10 minutes till they soften.
- Add the chicken broth (for a vegetarian version, substitute with vegetable broth) until the sweet potatoes are completely submerged and bring to boil.
- Cover the pot, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for around 30 minutes till the sweet potatoes are very soft.
- Then throw in brown sugar, ground ginger and ground cinnamon to the mixture. Allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and let the mixture cool a little before puree-ing in a blender. Blend until desired texture. Tip: make sure to blend in small batches to avoid overfilling or hot-soup splatter.
- Once silky smooth, pour blended soup into a bowl and serve with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sugar: 9g
- Calcium: 59mg
- Calories: 171kcal
- Carbohydrates: 35g
- Fat: 2g
- Fiber: 5g
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 662mg
- Protein: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Sodium: 680mg
- Vitamin A: 21534IU
- Vitamin C: 16mg
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I substitute squash for sweet potato in this recipe?
Yes! Any squash would be a great replacement for the sweet potato in this soup. Use pumpkin and season with nutmeg instead of cinnamon for a perfect fall taste. You can also try using acorn squash, perfect with a dash of cayenne pepper for a nutty-spiced flavored soup.
How to freeze this sweet potato soup?
To freeze your sweet potato soup, ladle the preferred amount into a Ziploc bag and place in the freezer zip side up. Remember to leave space at the top for expansion during freezing. Ensure all air has been removed before placing in your freezer. Most milk-based soups will last up to a week in the freezer.
What if I have a family member who is lactose intolerant?
Not a problem, substitute the 1 cup of milk with 1 cup of almond or soy milk
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!