Warm your soul with a big bowl of sweet potato soup recipe this winter. Moreover, this dish is so easy to create, it’s perfect as a healthy dinner meal or partnered alongside your Thanksgiving main entree. In fact, the sweet flavors of this versatile dish is sure to win the hearts of little ones as well.
Also, this one-pot sweet potato soup is perfect to cook ahead and store in mason jars. For instance, keep them in the freezer for those nights you can’t seem to get anything done. Meanwhile, this hearty soup can be portioned out for lunch during work days as well.
So, why not cozy up with a good book and a bowl of this silky-smooth sweet potato soup tonight? Try out this super easy recipe. For more simple soup recipes, try out our Spicy Pumpkin Appetizer Soup.
In addition, pair this wholesome soup with some homemade garlic bread. Indeed, it’s so easy to make. Firstly, all you need to do is lightly char slices of bread on a grill (try using sourdough bread or a french loaf). Next, once warm and toasty, rub on a slice of garlic to the charred parts of your bread and drizzle with olive oil. Freshly-made garlic bread is excellent to mop-up all those delicious creamy flavors.
How to Make Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ¼ tbsp ginger powder
- ⅛ tbsp cinnamon powder
- 1 ½ cup sweet potato pre-cooked
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a heated pan, add 1 tbsp of butter. Allow butter to melt completely until tiny bubbles form.
- Next, add a tbsp of flour to the melted butter and stir well.
- Gently stir until mixture turns light brown (this means the flour is cooked).
- When the flour and butter mixture begins to foam up with tiny bubbles, add the 1 ½ cup of chicken broth (for a vegetarian version, substitute with vegetable broth).
- Next, add 1 cup of milk and gently stir the mixture. Make sure there are no lumps of flour.
- Add 1 ½ cup of sweet potato to the pot. Tip: Steam sweet potatoes or boil them until soft.
- Throw in a tbsp of brown sugar, ¼ tbsp of ground ginger and ⅛ tbsp of ground cinnamon to the mixture. Allow to cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and let the mixture cool a little before puree-ing in a blender. Blend until desired texture. Tip: make sure to blend in small batches to avoid overfilling or hot-soup splatter.
- Once silky smooth, pour blended soup into a bowl and serve with salt and pepper to taste.
Ingredients You Need
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I substitute squash for sweet potato in this recipe?
Yes! Any squash would be a great replacement for the sweet potato in this soup. Use pumpkin and season with nutmeg instead of cinnamon for a perfect fall taste. You can also try using acorn squash, perfect with a dash of cayenne pepper for a nutty-spiced flavored soup.
How to freeze this sweet potato soup?
To freeze your sweet potato soup, ladle the preferred amount into a Ziploc bag and place in the freezer zip side up. Remember to leave space at the top for expansion during freezing. Ensure all air has been removed before placing in your freezer. Most milk-based soups will last up to a week in the freezer.
What if I have a family member who is lactose intolerant?
Not a problem, substitute the 1 cup of milk with 1 cup of almond or soy milk.
This sweet potato soup recipe is a big bowl of comfort! It's vegetarian, has cheap ingredients, and is quick and easy to make. In fact, it can also be frozen for future lunches and dinners. In addition, you can top it off with a swirl of coconut or heavy cream, watercress, and home-made croutons for a delicious and filling weeknight meal.
A rich blend of creamy sweet potatoes, ginger, and a hint of spice, it is the perfect fall and winter soup. Absolute perfection!