Hot weather got you craving something cool and refreshing? This classic confetti macaroni salad is sure to be a real crowd pleaser!
Macaroni salad is one of those things that is commonly overlooked in summer parties but it is always missed when left out of the picnic menu. For good reason, they are the perfect summer dish that everyone loves that could feed a party crowd. A cold summer salad that is refreshing, easy to whip up, so you can spend your summer enjoying the company of friends and family.
How To Make Confetti Macaroni Salad
- A stock pot
- 2 large mixing bowls
- Slotted spoon
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tbsp garlic 1 clove minced
- 1 tbsp dill chopped
- 1 tbsp italian parsley chopped
- ¼ cup squash diced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard or yellow mustard
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- ⅛ cup radish ¼ ” diced
- ⅛ cup red bell pepper ¼ ” diced
- ⅛ cup yellow bell pepper ¼ ” diced
- ⅛ cup green bell pepper ¼ ” diced
- ⅛ cup celery ¼ ” diced
- ⅛ cup cucumber ¼ ” diced
- ½ tbsp salt to taste
- ⅛ tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- You will need the above ingredients to create this simple light macaroni salad.
- To create your confetti you can use any number of seasonal vegetables. Try to incorporate more color in your salad. Did you know? The best way to get all the vitamins, nutrients and minerals you need is to eat colorful vegetables.
- Begin by preparing your salad dressing. You will need to add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 1 ½ tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Next, add ½ tablespoon of minced garlic, a tablespoon each of chopped dill and parsley.
- Throw in a teaspoon of dijon mustard and pour in 1 cup of buttermilk to complete your salad dressing. Combine your ingredients thoroughly and refrigerate for later.
- In a large pot, bring to a simmer 4-5 inches of seasoned water to cook 1lb of elbow macaroni.
- 2 minutes before the elbow macaroni is al dente, stir in the ¼ cup of diced squash.
- Once cooked, use a slotted spoon to drain and transfer the cooked macaroni and squash to a bowl. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Next, add in all the diced vegetables to your pasta mixture.
- Season with ½ a tablespoon of salt and ⅛ tablespoon of freshly ground black pepper or to taste.
- Finally, pour in the buttermilk salad dressing and mix thoroughly to combine all the ingredients.
- Serve your finished Confetti Macaroni Salad in a bowl and garnish with chopped parsley.
- If you like a little bit of heat in your meals, go ahead and add a pinch of smoked paprika before serving.
- Top off your creation with a peeled and halved hard-boiled egg or your choice of protein. Grilled chicken breast or bacon bits would be great paired with your Confetti Macaroni Salad.
Ingredients You Need
Commonly Asked Questions
How long will the Confetti Macaroni Salad keep?
If properly sealed in an airtight container or a zip-loc bag, the macaroni salad will keep up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Is there alternatives to buttermilk?
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you could always make your own. It is as simple as incorporating acid into milk. Add one tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice for every cup of whole milk, let sit and wait for it to curdle. And your buttermilk is now ready!
Is there a dairy-free substitute to buttermilk?
Yes, if you refer to our tip on how to make your own buttermilk, you could substitute the whole milk for your preferred non dairy milk.