This slow-cooked one-crockpot recipe has tender and moist chicken breasts with sweet and healthy vegetables. There is no added oil or cream, just a whole lot of flavor and nutrition. Aside from the nutritious vegetables, chicken breasts are also great source of lean protein. This is because chicken breast is white meat, which makes it being lower in saturated fats and cholesterol than dark meat.
Therefore, combining healthy veggies and this meat in one will get you a perfectly healthy plate! Have this crockpot chicken and vegetables any night worry-free while doing your personal errands. We’ll show you just how easily you can pull this off.
Tips in Making Crockpot Chicken and Vegetables
Slow cooker chicken breasts are versatile. There’s a long list of the things that you can do with them. Like a slow-cooked chicken cacciatore, for one. The point is, the possibilities are almost endless. So don’t be afraid to try to customize ingredients. Here are some tips you can use when making our crockpot chicken and veggies:
- Use chicken broth or vegetable broth to give it flavor, so you might want to skip using water. The liquid you will use to slow cook your meat in will influence how your slow cooker chicken breast and vegetables will taste like.
- Avoid slow cooking skinless chicken breasts on a High setting. This will result in dry, tough, and stringy meat. Chicken breasts are already kind of stringy on their own, we don’t want to overdo it some more.
- The longer you cook, the tastier the chicken breast becomes. Longer cook time on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours incorporates all the flavors more thoroughly, which results in a tastier dish. But if you’re pressed for time, you may cook it on High for 3 to 4 hours. It’s just that cooking it slowly gives us better flavors and more tender meat.
- Add crunch by tossing in some crunchy veggies like broccoli, cauliflowers, and mushrooms. This chicken and vegetables recipe is a perfect base. Feel free to customize it to your liking. You can also add hints of sweet pepper flavors like red and yellow bell pepper.
How To Make Crockpot Chicken and Vegetables
A healthy dish of tender vegetables and seasoned chicken slow-cooked to perfection. Make this ahead to serve in time for dinner!
- 2 lb chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, and diced
- 1 lb bell peppers, of your choice, diced (can also be a combination of colors)
- 8 oz broccoli
- 5½ oz yellow onions, quartered
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1¾ lb tomatoes, diced or crushed
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- salt and ground black pepper, to season and taste
- ⅛ tsp parsley, per serving
- 1 cup pasta, per serving
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, per serving grated or powdered
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Toss to combine.
- In your crockpot, layer ½ of the bell peppers at the bottom, followed by ½ of the onions.
- Place the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables.
- Add garlic, oregano, and basil.
- Repeat with the remaining bell peppers and onions, followed by the broccoli.
- Pour the canned tomatoes and tomato sauce around the top.
- Cover, and cook on Low for 8 hours, or 4 hours on High.
- Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sugar: 7g
- Calcium: 71mg
- Calories: 339kcal
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
- Fat: 12g
- Fiber: 4g
- Iron: 3mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g
- Potassium: 809mg
- Protein: 30g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Sodium: 247mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 2852IU
- Vitamin C: 90mg
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I use frozen chicken for slow cooking?
We highly recommend that you do not. It is important to thaw your chicken first before placing it in your crockpot. The frozen chicken will stay too long at room temperature in the crockpot which may end up giving you uncooked meat that’s not safe to eat.
What other vegetables go well with chicken?
If you want to add more greens to your crockpot chicken, consider including green beans, zucchini, or even celery to this recipe. They’ll add even more color and nutrition to this slow-cooked dish.
How do I reheat my chicken and vegetables?
You can actually reheat your meal in the crockpot. Simply place it on a low setting for 1 hour or until properly heated through. For a quicker reheat process, place your chicken and veggies in a casserole dish coated with olive oil. Cover with foil or the casserole’s cover, then reheat in the oven at 325 degrees F for 20 minutes.
ConclusionIt takes all those pots and pans away and only lets the crockpot do its magic! This is one of those healthy crockpot recipes that are guilt-free and utterly flavorful. It is made with the simplest ingredients that you probably already have on hand. And its simple seasoning brings out the flavors of the chicken and vegetables well. Try making this crockpot chicken tonight for your next family dinner for a belly-filling meal.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!