Perk up your day with this herb-filled egg salad recipe that’s effortless to make. This egg salad is perfect for picnics, holidays, lunches and snack times. It’s a timeless protein-rich salad that you can easily whip at home.
Eggs are very nutritious, being good for the brain, liver and eyes. It also contains no carbs and sugar. In this egg salad recipe we’re cooking boiled eggs with tenderly cooked whites and creamy yolks. We’ll be mixing our diced eggs with creamy ranch dressing spiced with a lot of fresh herbs. We’re turning the classic egg salad into an aromatic and even more flavorful one in this egg salad recipe.
This dish will be an instant favorite and you won’t go out of recipe ideas that you can do with it! You can fill it in a tasty and healthy chicken salad sandwich or grilled chicken salad wrap. But you’re wary of carbs, you can definitely enjoy this egg salad on its own as well, as it’s a healthy dish that’s incredibly satisfying and simple to make.
How to Make Creamy Egg Salad with Fresh Herbs
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup basil leaves chopped lengthwise
- ½ cup parsley finely chopped
- 8 eggs boiled, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup chives finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup lettuce any salad greens of choice (spinach, flat-leaf parsley)
- cayenne pepper for taste
- salt for taste
- ground black pepper for taste
- To get perfectly boiled eggs with a creamy yolk, submerge the eggs in a single layer in a saucepan, filling the water level up to an inch above the eggs. Boil on high heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- When the water boils, remove the heat, and leave the saucepan covered for 12 minutes. Prepare an ice bath for your eggs.
- Slice the onions and soak them in another bowl filled with iced water for 15 minutes. This key step will remove the sharp aftertaste that you get from the onions.
- After 12 minutes, transfer the eggs to the ice water to peel the eggshells easily.
- Chop the boiled eggs, basil leaves, chives, and spring onions, then place them in one mixing bowl.
- In the same bowl, add in the mayonnaise, wholegrain mustard, and apple cider vinegar. You can choose to put sour cream instead of mayonnaise. Mix the ingredients together.
- Tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place them in a medium-sized salad bowl.
- Garnish it with cayenne pepper, salt, and ground black pepper to taste, and you’re ready to dig in!
Ingredients You Need
Commonly Asked Questions
How long do egg salads last?
If you want to keep your egg salad and serve it later, store it in the fridge within 2 hours of preparing. Store it in an airtight container then refrigerate. It can last for about 5 days. The same applies for pretty much any salad with mayonnaise on it. Careful in leaving your egg salad on the counter since it can go bad in just 2 hours at room temperature. Once you notice an off odor, flavor or appearance from your salad, discard it right away.
What can I use as a substitute to mayonnaise?
If you want a healthier alternative for mayo you can replace it with ricotta or Greek yogurt. You can also use cottage cheese or hummus or go for a keto egg salad by using mashed avocado. If you’re after an easy-to-find ingredient that can replace mayo, use mustard which we also used in this recipe. You can also go dairy and mayo-free by experimenting with salad dressings and oils to create the perfect vinaigrette.
Enjoy a creamy and protein-filled egg salad that will surely fill you up! In this egg salad recipe we're adding in fresh herbs that go well with our perfectly cooked boiled eggs and silky ranch dressing. We’re keeping our ingredients plain and simple then amping up our spices for an amazing flavor. This is the perfect addition to your list of go-to tasty and healthy dishes. Make the easiest egg salad recipe at home and go crazy on how you serve it!