Here’s a protein-rich salad dish for you that you can eat on its own or in a sandwich. The Herbed Egg Salad has all the bright and bold flavors of a variety of herbs putting a nice twist on the plain old regular egg salad.
As with most of our recipes, we like to keep things simple and fast. We understand that you don’t always have a tonne of time to put together a delicious meal! Here’s another one for your repertoire when looking to save time while eating a nutritious home-cooked meal.
For more salad ideas, check out our other salad recipes here.
How to Make Creamy Egg Salad with Fresh Herbs
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup basil leaves chopped lengthwise
- ½ cup parsley finely chopped
- 8 eggs boiled, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup chives finely chopped
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup lettuce any salad greens of choice (spinach, flat-leaf parsley)
- Cayenne pepper for garnish
- To get that nice perfectly boiled eggs with a creamy yolk, submerge the eggs in a saucepan filling the water level up to an inch above the eggs. The eggs should be arranged in a single layer and boiled on high heat for 1-2 minutes. When the water boils, remove the heat, and leave the saucepan covered for 12 minutes. Prepare an ice bath for your eggs. During this time, you can also start slicing your onions and soak them in another bowl filled with iced water for 15 minutes. This key step will remove the sharp aftertaste that you get from the onions.Once 12 minutes is up, transfer the eggs to the ice water so it shocks the surface of the eggs making the shells peel easily.
- Begin chopping your ingredients starting with the boiled eggs, basil leaves, spring onions putting everything together in one mixing bowl. If you’re feeling a little bit extra, adding some tuna will amp up your protein macros. And if you want more greens in your salad, you can put in sage, chives, and scallions in the mix.In the same bowl, you can also add the mayonnaise, wholegrain mustard, and apple cider vinegar. Some prefer sour cream over mayonnaise. While others find that adding sour cream would make the salad too runny which you can immediately solve by putting it in the fridge before serving.
- After combining all these ingredients and mixing them together, it’s time to serve. Get a medium-sized salad bowl, and tear your remaining greens to bite-sized pieces creating a bed or serving as a base for your herbed egg salad. Garnish with cayenne pepper, salt, and ground black paper to taste. Another way to serve this salad is with 2 slices of bread face-up and
Ingredients You Need
Commonly Asked Questions
What can I use in egg salad instead of mayonnaise?
If you’re looking to cut the calories, mayonnaise isn’t the best option. However, you can go with plain, unsweetened Greek yogurt. It lends the same creaminess as mayonnaise and adds a nice tangy flavor..
Why does my egg salad get watery?
The heat from the boiled eggs often results in a runny salad. After cooking your eggs, chill them or at least let them cool down before adding them to the salad. Additionally, you can add very fine breadcrumbs to help you absorb any liquid. Bear in mind they must be extremely fine or they will become clumpy and not exactly appetizing.
We think this is a great recipe to bring to a potluck or barbecue. You can boil the eggs the day before, giving them plenty of time to cool and put everything together just before serving. The herbs in this recipe definitely take your egg salad to a new level. What better way to impress your friends and family?