How To Make Thai Basil Beef Bowls
Thin slices of beef are cooked with carrots, bell peppers, and basil for these thai beef bowls. The sauce is a savory and spicy concoction with fish sauce.
- 1¼cupsjasmine rice,or long grain white rice, for serving
- 1lbflank steak,sliced against the grain into thin strips
- 2tbspvegetable oil,(+ 1tsp)
- 1redbell pepper,cored and seeded, diced into 2-inch strips
- ½largeyellow onion,thinly sliced
- 1cupmatchstick carrots
- 1cupfresh basil leaves,roughly chop larger leaves, plus more for garnish
- sesame seeds,optional
- 3tbsplow-sodium soy sauce
- 1½tbspfish sauce
- 1tbspoyster sauce
- 2tbspbrown sugar,packed
- 1tbspfresh lime juice
- 1tbspSambal Oelek,or more to taste, optional
Cook rice according to directions listed on package.
In a small mixing bowl whisk together soy sauce and cornstarch until smooth. Stir in water, fish sauce, oyster sauce, brown sugar, lime juice and Sambal Oelek if using, set aside.
Toss beef with oil and cornstarch. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet or wok over moderately high heat.
Add beef and cook until browned on both sides but still slightly under-cooked in the center. Transfer beef to a plate while leaving oil in skillet.
Reduce heat slightly, add bell pepper, onions and garlic and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes until crisp tender. Add carrots and whisk sauce mixture once more then pour into skillet.
Allow sauce to simmer for about 1 minute, stirring frequently, until thickened. Return beef to skillet along with basil leaves, and toss until basil has just wilted.
Serve immediately over cooked rice garnished with small basil leaves and sesame seeds if desired.
- Calories: 531.06kcal
- Fat: 17.07g
- Saturated Fat: 4.50g
- Trans Fat: 0.05g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 9.01g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.79g
- Carbohydrates: 61.63g
- Fiber: 2.86g
- Sugar: 8.44g
- Protein: 30.77g
- Cholesterol: 77.11mg
- Sodium: 1151.22mg
- Calcium: 92.27mg
- Potassium: 732.84mg
- Iron: 5.01mg
- Vitamin A: 330.21µg
- Vitamin C: 45.89mg
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!