Whether it is for an on-the-go lunch, a picnic date, or a quick snack, our black pepper shredded chicken sandwich is a great pick-me-up! This juicy chicken sandwich boasts tender chicken loaded with herbs and spices, with cold tangy coleslaw all nestled up between tender Hawaiian rolls. Moreover, it’s affordable to make and easily feeds a crowd. Serve it with french fries and a tall glass of Oreo milkshake for a comforting afternoon snack.
Tips on Making Black Pepper Shredded Chicken Sandwich
Chicken sandwiches could come out bland and boring if not done well. Stay away from such and make the best chicken sandwiches at home with these tips:
- Use chicken breast because it has the least amount of fat and the quickest to cook. Plus, you won’t have to bother picking the bones. However, you can also use chicken thighs or a whole chicken if you opt to. Take note that it will take a longer cooking time.
- Cook chicken on a stovetop, instant pot, or crockpot. Whichever you pick, you can quickly shred chicken in just a minute using a handheld electric mixer if you want. On the other hand, you can also use two forks for shredding.
- Add Ritz crackers or potato chips to the chicken for an added buttery flavor that’s reminiscent of old-fashioned shredded chicken sandwiches.
- Meal prep a big batch. The shredded chicken freezes well, while the assembled chicken sandwich stays good in the fridge for up to two days.
- Use your preferred type of bread bun like french bread, croissant, whole wheat buns, bagels, or make your own with this challah and sourdough recipe. Additionally, toast them for extra flavor.
- Lastly, customize your pulled chicken sandwich by adding tomatoes, blue cheese, honey mustard, barbecue sauce, ranch dressing, sriracha, or any of your favorite sauces.
Black Pepper Shredded Chicken Sandwich Recipe Video
How to Make Black Pepper Shredded Chicken Sandwich
This black pepper shredded chicken sandwich is made flavorful with herbs and spices and zesty with fresh coleslaw. Serve it with fries and your favorite dipping sauce.
Black Pepper Chicken:
Coat the chicken breasts with the seasoning mixture. Be sure to rub it in well and get an even spread over the meat and the skin.
Heat up your pan with the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, carefully put your chicken fillets skin side down in the pan. Cook about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until you get a nice sear on the chicken.
Pour in the low-sodium chicken broth and allow the chicken to simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the pan and reduce the remaining broth until it thickens. Let cool to room temperature before using 2 forks to shred the meat.
Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise on both sides of the bread.
Place roughly 2 tablespoons black pepper chicken on the bottom half, followed by roughly 1 tablespoon pickle relish, and finally top with roughly 1 tablespoon prepared coleslaw.
Cover the sandwich and slightly press down to adhere. Repeat for the remaining sweet rolls.
Serve the sandwiches with ketchup and potato fries.
*This Italian seasoning is easy to make at home. Make a bigger batch and store it in an airtight container for the next time a recipe calls for this ingredient.
*Check out this Golden Gate Coleslaw Recipe to make your own coleslaw at home.
Commonly Asked Questions
How do you make shredded chicken less dry?
Chicken becomes dry and tough when it is overcooked. Do not cook it longer than it needs to be, and do not cook it on high heat. However, if you’re done cooking chicken, fix the dry chicken by adding more cooking liquid or chicken broth or toss it with a sauce like mayonnaise.
Can you freeze shredded chicken sandwiches?
No, shredded chicken sandwiches will turn soggy after thawing. Alternatively, you can keep shredded chicken sandwiches in the fridge for up to two days. On the other hand, if you made a big batch of shredded chicken, you can portion them into ziplock bags and keep them in the fridge for up to four months. Just thaw a bag out when ready to use.
What can I use shredded chicken for?
Aside from this delicious black pepper shredded chicken sandwich, you can use extra shredded chicken to make chicken salad, pie filling, chicken spread, or you can toss it into a casserole.
The shredded chicken sandwich recipe is a lifesaver for days when you don’t want to spend too much time cooking! It doesn’t require too much of your time – it can be whipped up in half an hour. It's a quick and easy meal that is just as delicious to eat!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!