Chicken and gravy over noodles is comfort food at its finest. This chicken recipe is so simple and tasty. All you really need is chicken gravy and noodles! For this one, we’re using seared chicken thighs and roasting them in the oven after. Because it is precooked on the stove, we’re able to lock in the moisture in the meat and give a golden-brown crust. Hence, they come out extremely tender. To add, roasting them makes them more fragrant and allows the outer flavors to penetrate the meat, making it incredibly mouthwatering.
The juicy chicken combined with silky egg noodles and brown gravy make this dish extremely savory and addictive. It’s quite similar to beef stroganoff which also has a thick creamy sauce. Using chicken, however, will be much easier! No need to slice anything. Just heat up the oil, sear, and pop it into the oven!
How To Make Chicken and Brown Gravy Over Egg Noodles
Try having egg noodles with brown gravy instead of the usual soup, topped with healthy, moist, pan seared then roasted chicken thighs over the noodles and gravy.
- 1¼ lb chicken thighs, boneless
- ½ lb egg noodles, dry
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 oz red onions, or yellow, diced
- 2 oz carrots, diced
- 2 oz celery, diced
- 2 oz red bell peppers, or any bell pepper of your choice, diced
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground celery seeds
- 10½ oz condensed mushroom soup, (1 can)
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- ⅛ tsp parsley, chopped
- Combine your paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili flakes, oregano, and ground celery seeds in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add your chicken and half of the mixed seasoning.
- Season with salt and pepper, then toss to combine.
- Heat up a skillet with oil. Add your chicken and sear evenly on all sides, roughly 5 minutes per side.
- Set aside into a baking sheet and drain the excess oil.
- In a 360 degrees F preheated oven, roast the chicken thighs for roughly 8 to 10 minutes until fully cooked. Occasionally baste using the excess oil.
- Melt your butter in the same skillet. Add your onions, carrots, celery, and bell peppers. Saute until translucent.
- Add the garlic and your remaining mixed seasoning. Continue sauteing.
- Add the condensed soup and chicken broth. Stir to combine, then bring to a simmer.
- Continue simmering for roughly 5 to 8 minutes until the sauce has reduced by ¼ and thickened.
- Add your noodles, season with salt and pepper, toss to combine, and set aside.
- Once your chicken thighs are fully cooked, slice diagonally into chunks.
- Serve by placing your noodles onto a platter and topping with the sliced chickens. Garnish with roughy ⅛ teaspoon of parsley per serving and serve!
You can use chicken, celery or asparagus soup in place of the condensed mushroom soup.
- Sugar: 3g
- Calcium: 61mg
- Calories: 524kcal
- Carbohydrates: 41g
- Cholesterol: 164mg
- Fat: 27g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 3mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 10g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g
- Potassium: 581mg
- Protein: 29g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Sodium: 632mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 2714IU
- Vitamin C: 20mg
Frequently Asked Questions
What to serve with chicken and noodles?
This chicken noodle with gravy will go well with pork dumplings or vegetables on the side. Try out this bok choy stir fry, another tasty and healthy dish to go with your meal. Of course, you’re free to use other chicken recipes to serve with the noodles and brown gravy.
How do you thicken chicken and noodles?
You can make a roux by mixing equal parts of flour and butter, mixing it together until it turns golden brown under low heat on the stove, then adding it into the sauce. You can also just add equal parts cornstarch and water to the gravy while stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
ConclusionThis dish is a simple but delicious meal you can serve any day of the week. It can be easily whipped up after a long, tiring day. Full of different textures from the crispy roasted chicken to the thick gravy and slippery egg noodles, this dish is healthy and full of savory flavors.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!