Steaks are a familiar dish on the dining table. Some people prefer their steaks roasted, and others prefer it prepared inside the oven like the classic oven-baked steak and potatoes. However, to some, steaks are a traditional culinary staple. The Southerners in America have a secret recipe, the chicken fried steak recipe. In this Southern cuisine, the steaks are deep-fried in a pan and served with creamy gravy!
But why is it called chicken fried steak when there’s no chicken? Well, the steak is cooked in a similar way to fried chicken, hence the dish’s name! This dish is made with a piece of tender beef steak that’s breaded with eggs, pan-fried, then topped with some creamy gravy.
There is nothing like this steak. People love serving it, and everyone loves to eat it! The best chicken fried steak is the one that’s cooked to golden perfection and topped with the most flavorful and creamy gravy. Using this recipe, the only difficult thing that comes is deciding whether to prepare it for lunch or dinner!
How To Make Chicken Fried Steak with Creamy Gravy
Skip the usual roasted steak. Prepare a fried steak that’s topped with creamy and flavorful gravy instead!
- 4 steaks, (¼ lb each), pre-tenderized, preferably cube steaks
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup milk
- oil, for frying
- 3 tbsp pan drippings
- 3 tbsp all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup whipping cream
- 1¾ cups milk
- salt and pepper
- 2 sunny side-up eggs
- ¾ cup mixed vegetables, of your choice
- 2 tsp parsley, chopped
- Use a meat mallet, rubber mallet, or rolling pin to flatten and thin out the steaks until they are less than ¼ inches thick. Season each steak with a pinch of salt.
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Put a wire rack over a baking sheet, and set it aside. Prepare two shallow baking dishes.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. In another bowl, mix the salt, garlic powder, cayenne, and flour.
- Dredge the steak in the flour mix one by one. Using your hands, press each side of the steak onto the flour mix.
- Shake off the excess and dip the steak in the egg wash, coating every side. Repeat the process until all sides are well covered and coated. Set aside.
- In a large pan, pour oil until it reaches ¼ inches deep for frying. Heat the oil until the oil sizzles when flour is dropped into it.
- Lay the prepared steak one by one into the oil and cover the steak with oil. Fry for about 2 minutes until the edges turn golden brown.
- When done, remove the steaks using a slotted spatula, and place them on the wire rack in the oven to keep warm.
- Strain off any excess oil to get the drippings.
- Turn off the heat in the pan and pour out all but 3 tablespoons of oil and fat from the pan.
- Whisk in 3 tablespoons of flour and stir constantly on medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the mixture turns light brown.
- Slowly add the cream and milk, whisking continuously until the desired consistency is reached.
- Season the gravy with a pinch of salt and pepper. Adjust accordingly.
- Serve over the steak with eggs and mixed vegetables. Garnish.
- Sugar: 7g
- Calcium: 215mg
- Calories: 871kcal
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Cholesterol: 261mg
- Fat: 47g
- Fiber: 3g
- Iron: 7mg
- Monounsaturated Fat: 19g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g
- Potassium: 980mg
- Protein: 60g
- Saturated Fat: 22g
- Sodium: 1396mg
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Vitamin A: 2508IU
- Vitamin C: 4mg
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between country fried steak and chicken fried steak?
Though they are very similar, the country fried steak is prepared by coating the steak with flour, and the steak is commonly served with brown gravy. The chicken-fried steak, on the other hand, is breaded with eggs and topped with a creamy gravy.
What should you serve chicken fried steak with?
Mashed potatoes or some fried potatoes are among the staple side dishes that are paired with chicken fried steak. Some also pair it with steamed vegetables and coleslaw.
Why does the breading fall off when frying?
The coating falls off the meat because the egg is not binding the breading well. To have better breading, make sure your mixture and egg wash are properly applied to the steak.
ConclusionThis chicken fried steak recipe is perfect since it mashes two of the best things - steak, and the glory of frying something like a chicken. Even without chicken, this dish can serve you the best of both worlds!
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!