Yearning for Wendy’s buffalo nuggets but need to cut down on fast food? Cure your craving with these vegetarian tofu nuggets. Not only a healthier option for your diet, but this easy-to-make recipe is also ideal for a perfect snack. They’re even better with barbeque sauce or ketchup.
If you want to make the shift to a plant-based diet, this recipe can act as a transition for you. It’s flavorful and still has that deep-fried goodness that makes it taste almost like the real thing. Try it out for yourself and you’ll be surprised how good they taste!
How To Make Vegetarian Wendy’s Copycat Buffalo Nuggets
- 2 block tofu extra firm
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups double strength chicken-style vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup Frank’s hot sauce
- Prepare tofu for your Wendy’s copycat vegetarian Buffalo chicken nuggets. Using paper towels, pat 2-blocks of extra firm tofu until dry. Slice tofu into bite-sized nugget pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add 2 cups of double strength chicken-style vegetable broth to your tofu pieces.
- Set the tofu mixture aside and begin prep work for the egg mix.
- In another mixing bowl, beat 5 eggs. Add ⅓ cup of Frank's hot sauce and whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl prepare dry ingredients. Add ½ cup of all purpose flour to your mixing bowl.
- Next, add 1 cup of breadcrumbs to the flour. This will add a crunchy exterior to your nuggets.
- Now, add a teaspoon each of onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne powder, paprika, sea salt and black pepper and mix.
- Remove each piece of tofu from the double strength chicken-style vegetable broth and coat thoroughly with the flour mixture.
- Next, dredge the tofu pieces in egg mixture, and then coat them once again with the breading mix.
- Place tofu pieces onto a plate until you have finished coating all of them.
- In a deep pan or large pot, heat enough canola oil to cover your nuggets. Fry for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Be careful not to heat your oil on high heat, this will burn the breading on your nuggets. Tip: ensure the temperature of oil is at 365F for perfectly crispy nuggets.
- Cook your tofu nuggets in batches to prevent a soggy outer layer. Once cooked thoroughly, remove your copycat tofu nuggets onto some paper towels and remove excess oil.
- Serve your Wendy’s copycat Buffalo tofu nuggets with your choice of dipping sauce but, is best served with a dollop of ketchup.
- Dunk into some ketchup and enjoy this guilt-free tofu nuggets today!
Ingredients You Need
Commonly Asked Questions
What can I substitute eggs with?
If you’re looking to make this recipe entirely vegan, you can swap eggs for ground flaxseed and warm water. 1 tbsp ground flaxseed with 3 tbsp warm water will give you the equivalent of one egg.
Do these tofu nuggets taste like real chicken?
They definitely won’t taste 100% similar but the texture should somewhat resemble chicken. This is why it’s important to choose firm tofu and marinate it well so that that it won’t taste as bland.
Many of us might be thinking of jumping on the vegan bandwagon for its numerous benefits. However, we might not know where to start and how to get around many mainstream recipes. With this take on a copycat Wendy's Buffalo Chicken Nuggets, you will see how easy it is to make the swap. Try it and let us know what you think!