Who doesn’t want to come home and get welcomed by a steaming bowl of smooth, and thick lobster bisque soup? Try making this savory seafood entree and meet a fancy addition to your dinner menu. No need to visit fancy restaurants to enjoy seafood dishes, because you can recreate them at home by following this easy homemade recipe.
Tips on Making Lobster Bisque Using a Crockpot
The name of this dish may sound fancy and intimidating that it makes you wonder just what it is. A traditional lobster bisque a classic French soup is cooked with a stock made of lobster shells. Ours is the easier and more affordable version. Instead of using a whole lobster shell, you make use of the lobster tail ends to make a stock. It’s actually easy to make, especially with the help of a crockpot. Here are some tips to help you make the best lobster bisque recipe:
- Intensify your base flavors by adding mirepoix. It’s an aromatic mix of diced celery, carrots, and finely chopped onions.
- Add ¼ cup of sherry or white wine to further improve the savory flavors of your lobster bisque.
- Add the heavy cream at the last minute. It will dry up easily if added early, giving you chunky bits of curdled cream later on.
- Thaw frozen lobster first before adding them to your slow cooker if you are using frozen lobsters. Cooking thawed lobster tails will make its meat tough once done. It reduces cook time and reduces unpleasant smell. However, thawing it in hot water is NOT advisable. Check our CAQs section below to learn how to properly thaw lobster meat.
- Try pairing this dish with crusty bread. This combination works perfectly since serving a creamy soup with crusty bread on the side will let you wipe off all the sauce left on your plate or bowl. So we suggest pairing this creamy lobster bisque with some cheesy garlic breadsticks or a broccoli salad for a leafy side.
Besides being an easy recipe to make, you’ll be needing ingredients that you can easily find at your local supermarket. Gather your ingredients, do the easy prep, and let it slow cook for the whole day while you’re at work or doing some chores, and let your crockpot do the magic.
How To Make Lobster Bisque
Discover the wonders of slow cooking with our easy crockpot lobster bisque. Savor a bowl of creamy tomato soup with succulent lobster meat.
In a pan, melt the butter, and add in the onions, carrots, and celery. Cook until the vegetables are soft for about 5 minutes. Be careful not to brown your vegetables. Just cook them until they are soft and translucent.
Put minced shallots and garlic in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on High for 2 to 3 minutes or until the shallots wilt.
Add the shallot and garlic mixture to a 4-quart crockpot. Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, Old Bay seasoning, dill, parsley, pepper, and paprika to the crockpot.
Add in the mirepoix.
Cut off the end part of the lobsters and add those to the crockpot.
Pour in the sherry.
Stir, cover, and cook on Low for 6 hours or 3 hours on High.
Remove the lobster tail ends and discard. Puree the soup mixture to your desired texture and consistency using a blender.
Add the soup back to the crockpot, add in the lobster tails, and cook for 45 minutes on low or until the shells turn red and the lobster meat is cooked.
Remove the lobster tails from the soup and let cool.
Add the cream to the soup and stir.
Cut each lobster tail in half long way and remove the lobster flesh from the shells.
Discard the shell, roughly chop the lobster meat, add them back into the soup and serve.
Commonly Asked Questions
How do I thaw frozen lobster?
Since lobsters have a hard shell, they have to be quite long. Transfer the whole packet to thaw it in the fridge overnight. Then, transfer it to a container filled with water. Let the lobster defrost and remember to change the water every 30 minutes to 1 hour until fully defrosted. Give them a final rinse.
How do you thicken lobster bisque?
In this recipe, we used heavy cream for the thickener. But you can also add ½ tablespoon of cornstarch and whisk your mixture until it smoothens.
Indulge yourself with this rich, thick, and creamy lobster bisque that’s perfect to serve as your elegant party dinner starter or entree. Serve your guests and loved ones with this decadent seafood bisque and they’ll surely remember this fancy dinner night.
Have your own special recipe to share? Submit Your Recipe Today!